How Many People Will This Cake Serve?!?! Help!!

Decorating By hurlygrli07 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm by hurlygrli07

hurlygrli07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hurlygrli07 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 7

okay, so im pretty new with the cake suff i have a made a few cakes for people, and this is going to be my first wedding cake...if she goes with me, well a reception cake, she had her formal wedding in december and is now having a reception in town. anyways she wants a three tiered topsy turvy cake bottom teir: 14" 2nd teir: 9" and 3rd teir: 6" i need to know how many people this cake will feed.. i would greatly appreciate a reply...oh and on a side note im charging her $350 for this cake and her mother-in-law is telling her its too expensive and is convinced she can find someone to do it cheaper? is this too much? i informed her that i could work with her and do it for $300 and then she wanted to know how much for a 2 teired cake and i said $250, am i way off here?? i attached a photo of my idea of the cake, so you all can get an idea of what i will be attemting.
thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif
LL

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 7

I think her MIL should keep her mouth shut because most cake decoraters would be charging way more than $350.00 for this cake.Don't forget that Topsy turvy cakes requires more height to get it to look slanted so although you are cutting servings away from the top...the cake itself is taller than a standard 5-6 inch flat cake.I'm guessing at those dimensions you would get about 150 servings so my price would be 150 x $3.00=$450.00...so no you are no over priced.I would not do it for $300.00 though...JMO

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 7

Serves 123.
Did you look on www.wilton.com for the serving sizes?

From me, $592 + $50 delivery.

Where ya from Hurlygrli?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

Go to the Wilton site and there is a chart that will tell you how many servings you will get. DO NOT LOWER your price. There is NO ONE reputable that can do it cheaper.
Love your design! Topsy Turvy cakes are a lot of work - don't sell yourself short.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 7

Kiddiecakes is absolutely right. I'm making a 14-12-10-8 and that serves approximatley 135 servings. $3 a serving for me is still a little low especially for a topsy

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7

my tt start at $5 per serving so you are low to begin with. Tell that MIL, you get what you pay for!

hurlygrli07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hurlygrli07 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 7

thanks you all for your advice, i made my first tt cake last year and only charged 65$ BIG mistake but cuz it took a LOT of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

]Where ya from Hurlygrli?

im in california, in tracy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%