How Do Ice Your Top Edge??

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 1:01am by sugarshack

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 19

Everything I ever needed to know about how to ice a buttercream cake, I learned from Sharon Zambito (thanks!). But, I don't love her method for icing the top edge. Does anyone have a method they like better? I've been curious about Jeff Arnett's upside method, but too scared to try it. Seems like it would be difficult on a larger cake. Anyone tried this with success? Thanks.

18 replies
dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Everything I ever needed to know about how to ice a buttercream cake, I learned from Sharon Zambito (thanks!). But, I don't love her method for icing the top edge. Does anyone have a method they like better? I've been curious about Jeff Arnett's upside method, but too scared to try it. Seems like it would be difficult on a larger cake. Anyone tried this with success? Thanks.

i love jeff's method. its the *only* way i can get the tops of my cakes to look decent, lol! i'm only 100 pounds and can flip a large cake no problem, though sometimes i will have my husband next to me...just in case. thumbs_up.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 19

Hi what is the upside down method, thanks

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 19

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 19

Just thought I would add something: I read in the comments to the upside down method that it does work with IMBC. YAY!!! I'm going to try this today!!!!! Just need to stop at my local hardware store to pick up a palette knife. Been wanting to get one of those for awhile now though.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 19

I've used it and loved it! The first time I had a lot of air holes in it but got some tips here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6642736-.html#6642736

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 19

It's the only way I ice my cakes as I use a non-crusting buttercream and always had a hard time with sharp edges.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 19

Boy I wish I had seen this last night, I would have tried it

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 19

do you find it hard to get your bottom board centered perfectly before you flip it since you're doing it upside down and can't see exactly where the cake center is in relation to the boards center?

Hope that makes sense. icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 19

oh ok, didn't get the upside down part, i do mine like edna does, well try lol, it looks like she uses a lot of bc, so i do that to very forgiving for the sides.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

do you find it hard to get your bottom board centered perfectly before you flip it since you're doing it upside down and can't see exactly where the cake center is in relation to the boards center?

Hope that makes sense. icon_smile.gif

HAHA! I DID the first time! Now I get down low and check. I get pretty close. If its off a little I can usually jiggle it a little to get it centered.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 19

Can you use this method on a square cake?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 19

I wish I had the guts to do the upside down thing.

I know what the OP is saying about Sharon's method of doing the top of the cake - I have "issues" also with this method but haven't found anything to replace it.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 19

I'm glad to hear good reviews on the upside down method, I think y'all have made me brave enough to try it on my next cake! :]

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Can you use this method on a square cake?

absolutely!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 19

Funny. I hadn't done the upside down method in years, so I decided to try it again today. Nope, still too much trouble for me.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:11pm
post #17 of 19

just adding 2 cents....

the stiffer you can make your icing and still work with it, the better your edges will come out ( for both rounds and squares.)

I also did the upside down for a while years ago and did like it. as far as the air bubbles on the top, I found plastic wrap the best item to use to ice on.... it released the best on all shoretning icing.... and paddle a very thin layer on bc on first, make sure no air, then put the full thickness down

HTH

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #18 of 19

Thanks everyone. Sharon, what made you switch to the method you use now? (Clearly it's working out well for you).

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #19 of 19

well, I did like the technique but it was so many steps and time consuming, and my way was evolving and progressing on its won, and when I [perfected that technique, I just stuck with it.

of copurse my way is just as timie consuming so go figure!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%