How Do I Do A Plaque Like This?

Decorating By cakiemommie Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 4:52am by dalis4joe

cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone.. I've never done a plaque before.. and I need to know how it's done! I assume it's made out of gumpaste or fondant.. but how do you get the numbers so perfect? cookie cutters? How does the plaque stand up on the cake?

This is for a 30th birthday... so i'll be doing a 3 and 0 ...

Thanks!

6 replies
cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 7

oops! here's the link.. to the example...

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 7

I am no expert and have no real clue... but I would assume that if you make them out of gumpaste, insert skewars into them before they are dry. I used that method on another cake. I'm sure someone will say skewars are not food safe, but I my cakes are for personal use.

the numbers could be stencils or just a good hand. Depends on your imagination icon_smile.gif

HTH!

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 7

I would mix 50/50 fondant & gumpaste. Roll out and cut 2 stars with a cookie cutter. Then cut out the #'s, I'm not sure if they used cutters as well. Or you can roll out the paste into a rope and form the #'s and glue to the stars, attach some wooden dowels. You'll need to make it ahead of time so that they'll dry out completely (a week). Hopefully someone else can give you more tips.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 7

Wooden kebab skewers are certainly food safe. As Kim said, make it out of gumpaste and let dry for several days. I made the scoreboard on my stadium cake by cutting two rectangles and sandwiching the skewers between them. Brush water or gumpaste-glue on the backsides to glue together. Decorate, then let it dry.

On the princess cake I made, I used a decorated sugar cookie with skewers baked in. Same idea, a lot tastier!!

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:44am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

I would mix 50/50 fondant & gumpaste. Roll out and cut 2 stars with a cookie cutter. Then cut out the #'s, I'm not sure if they used cutters as well. Or you can roll out the paste into a rope and form the #'s and glue to the stars, attach some wooden dowels. You'll need to make it ahead of time so that they'll dry out completely (a week). Hopefully someone else can give you more tips.

'' icon_smile.gif

I USE A DEHYDRATOR, ONE OF THE BEST IDEAS MY HUSBAND HAS EVER GIVEN ME. I WOULD CUT OUT THE STARS AND THE NUMBERS THE SANDWHICH A WOODEN SKEWER BETWEEN AND DRY COMPLETELY. WHENREADY TO PLACE IN CAKE, USE A PLAIN SKEWER TO MAKE A WHOLE THROUGH THE TOP LAYER'S CARDBOARD, THEN REMOVE. INSERT THE STAR/NUMBER PICKS AND THERE YOU GO icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:52am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakiemommie

oops! here's the link.. to the example...

Hi.... you can email her (laurapoopie) via youtube I have exchanged comments with her and she is very nice.. she can tell you how she did it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%