Vent Hood

Business By SpudCake Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm by SpudCake

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 11

Anyone like to share where they purchased their commercial hood. Any comments about hoods also appreciated. That is the one thing that has really got me a bit baffled. I have been searching online and have found some around 700 dollars and up. I got a local quote of $6500...ouch.'

Joanne usaribbon.gif

10 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #2 of 11

I got mine from a local food service supplier, they have new and used equipment. I paid $1200, it was used. The painful thing is that I paid almost that much to get the duct-work run and the hood installed. icon_sad.gif

SpudCake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 11

I was afraid of that cost as well.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

SweetnessBakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetnessBakeshop Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 11

From my understanding, it's not so much the actual hood that is expensive, rather the installation of the ducts and hood.

I purchased mine locally, it's 6x4' and cost me $2,000 installed.

SpudCake Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 11

That's not too bad for installation and everything. What type of contractor did you go through?

Joanne usaribbon.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 11

I used a kitchen design firm for my kitchen so I have no idea what the actuall breakdown between equipment cost and installation cost was, but she did tell me it was $1000 per linear foot ... and I needed 8 feet of it.

The labor charge is significant because they have to bust thru the ceiling for the exhaust system and then make sure the roof/ceiling is sealed properly.

SpudCake Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:52am
post #7 of 11

There is actually a vent opening where the heater unit is currently located. It will be moved and I think they may be able to use the existing ducting/hole in the roof.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:41am
post #8 of 11

I don't have a hood becasue of the cost of the ductwork...I would have to go to the roof of the building my shop is in....4 stories up, and it would have cost me my first born here in NY.

so, I went electric. No hood required.....I bought a used Blodgett that runs perfectly. It greatly minimized my startup costs. It helped tremendously becasue at that point I didn't know what I was in for. If I had to close for lack of business or whatever....my money was gone.

SweetnessBakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetnessBakeshop Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 11

I got lucky in the sense that my storefront was previously a Quizno's Sub Shop, so all they had to do was reroute the current hood ducts to the back kitchen and install the new hood...

I'm sure had we had to run new duct work it would have been a fortunte.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:49pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudCake

That's not too bad for installation and everything. What type of contractor did you go through?

Joanne usaribbon.gif

An HVAC guy installed mine.

SpudCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you iamcakin.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%