How Do You Charge For Sculpted Cakes

Decorating By valerieInga Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 2:16am by TheDomesticDiva

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 5

Right now I only decorate as gifts for family and friends, and charge for ingredients for co-workers. My question is, if you need to make 2 recipes for a shaped cake but end up cutting a fair amount away, do you charge for the total amount or just what they receive and how do you determine how many it will feed?
TIA
VAL detective.gif

4 replies
Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 5

It will be interesting to hear the different pricing calculations people use for sculpted cakes.
On the one hand, you need to charge for all ingredients used regardless of how much you cut away. On the other hand, charging by the serving does not take into account what you carved away, but it is usually covered by a higher price per serving for sculpted cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 5

You can do it two ways. You can charge a higher price per serving for a sculpted cake or you can charge the price per servings you start out with. It can usually average out in the end.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 5

You may want to check this thread out - it is along the same lines.....

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6740651-.html#6740651

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #5 of 5

My sculpted cakes start at $200, and have a minium of 20 servings. The price goes up depending on how big, and how detailed you want it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%