Handpainting Bled On Bc

Decorating By cakefort Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm by cakefort

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:35am
post #1 of 16

Late last night I made a cherry blossom cake with BC, hand painted branches, and gumpaste/MMF flowers. It sat out overnight and in the course of about 6 hours, the flowers wilted/melted onto the BC and the painted branches bled. I mixed Wilton color with alcohol to paint, although I don't know if my proportion wasn't right, as I don't know how much alcohol to gel should be used.

FWIW, my BC didn't crust, so I had problems from the get-go with it (but it tasted awesome icon_biggrin.gif ). Was it my BC that caused the problem?

15 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 16

I would venture to say it was the BC - how did you paint on it if it didn't crust? (that would be hard to do!) Sorry it didn't work out right. icon_sad.gif

cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 16

I had to stick the cake in the fridge and the freezer for a few minutes to harden the BC

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 16

Ahh, then my guess is that there may have been some condensation that formed which would cause the running. The extra moisture on the cake surface would cause the colors not to set up all the way and possibly run.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 16

Was the bc supposed to crust?
It might b that as the cake came back to room temp, condensation formed, which will have made the paint run.
Also, it it wasn't a real crusting over - the crust was only due to refridgeation - then when it went back to uncrusted that could havre cause problems for the painting - and the flowers. If they are not 100% dry they will absorb mouisture mch more easily.
Like you say, at least it tasted great icon_smile.gif
xx

cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks, ladies. Yes, it was supposed to crust, but I use meringue powder in it and I think I accidentally added too much and/or overbeat it.

Good point about the condensation. I hadn't even thought about that.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 16

What was the recipe? Meringue powder or over beating shouldn't affect the crusting or not.

cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 16

It was a modified Wilton BC--- 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening, couple TBLS water, 1 TBLS meringue powder, 4 cups PS, flavoring

TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 16

That recipe really should have crusted. Was your house really humid?

cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 16

No. It usually is, but it hasn't been. I made two batche. The first batch I accidentally put in 3 TBSP of m. powder, so the second batch I didn't add any. But they were mixed with a beater after, so the only difference is the extra TBSP mp

TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 16

Have you always used the half butter?

Crusting is based off the sugar to fat ratio. The more fat the slower it crust, the more sugar the faster. So if this recipe is being moody (I personally think the weather can affect it), use a little less fat or a little more sugar next time and see if that helps.

cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 16

Meaning I should keep everything the same except either increase butter or decrease sugar, or do you mean use more butter as opposed to half butter/half shortening?

TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 16

If it isn't crusting as much as you would like it too, reduce the fat (crisco/butter) or increase the sugar.

I'd subtract about 1/4 cup shortening or butter or add about a 1/2 cup to 1 cup powder sugar.

If you icing crusts after than you want it too, then I'd do the opposite.

cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks You're so helpful!!

TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 16

I try. icon_smile.gif

It could be something about the weather lately that has been effecting it, and it may go back to crusting just fine.

cakefort Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 16

Okie dokie. I appreciate all your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%