Fondant Covered Cheesecake

Decorating By corinataz Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm by KHalstead

corinataz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corinataz Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:10am
post #1 of 5

I am getting married May 15, 2010 and attended a bridal show recently. At the show, I sampled an amazing Fondant covered Cheesecake...My daughter is making my cake (a 4 tier cheesecake, hopefully covered by fondant) and we have made 5 -2 tiered cheesecakes to make sure we can do it perfectly....NO LUCK!!! Everytime, the fondant starts "oozing" from the bottom edges within 24 hours.

I know it can be done, I've seen it with my own two eyes, does anyone have any tips for me or maybe any suggestions on sites that can help.

Thank you for your time,
Corina-Frusterated bride to be

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:55am
post #2 of 5

I wonder if you covered them with rolled chocolate if it would hold up better. I use a pound of chocolate to 1/3 cup corn syrup. It would be harder to work with, but might work. I would try on a single layer cheesecake first to see if you like it and if you can handle it. Rolled chocolate does work better with fondant but if fondant alone isn't working for you i would try the other. Or a mixture. The chocolate shouldn't be effected by the moisture in the cake as much as fondant is.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:39am
post #3 of 5

You need to coat the cheesecakes with frosting just as you would any other cake. That gives the fondant something to adhere to and don't decorate the cake until it's completely chilled over night in the cooler. There's always some dew that forms on top of a cheesecake, blot it away with paper towels before frosting it.

Butterfly_Kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly_Kisses Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

You definitely have to use chocolate to cover. Fondant will 'weep' when in contact with the cold cheesecake. You can use white chocolate plastic and dye to whatever color you like.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

um, I've covered cheesecake w/ mmf and just refrigerated it....it was still kinda cold when it was cut too, but there was no oozing. I refrigerate cakes with mmf on them all the time (perishable fillings) and don't get condensation issues like I do with store bought fondant (like satin ice).

do you recall if the cheesecake covered in fondant that you tasted was cold? Maybe the trick is having it stay cold until serving?/

Or else, maybe they used mmf?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%