Just Need To Rant A Bit... Long...

Lounge By Odyssey Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm by julzs71

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 13

I've been super excited to get through my Wilton classes and my cakes seem to keep getting better. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with Mono shortly before my third Fondant and Gumpaste class. Mono basically ravages you with horrible fever and sore throat for up to a week and then leaves you feeling weak and helpless for a long period after (I'm still having trouble lifting a milk jug). Day before class I call and it was canceled so I figured I may be well enough to sit in on the reschedule. Michael's says they'll call with the reschedule. We've had to do reschedules twice before because of some trouble my instructor has had (car and family), so it wasn't a big deal.

It's been a week and no call so I figure we just moved it to the normal time today instead so I call and they say they aren't sure but they'll get my instructor to call me. Not 20 minutes later she calls and says "We had the class last Sunday, but they told me you had Mono." I was LIVID. I know I'm sick, but it would have been nice to get a call just to know because now I've missed not only the third class, but the fourth because they didn't call. I wasn't even offered to take the next session. I had to keep prodding her and she said I could, but it would be with a different instructor (who isn't as skilled).

I know she has a life too, but I feel like I was forgotten. I'm just really disappointed, because I'm not as familiar with the other instructor and my first liked to challenge us and would show us tricks that weren't in the book. Like our final cake had to include 7 skills of our choosing so she could see our composition ability. I'm scared my new instructor won't like that idea and won't be so thrilled with my tiger cake I've been planning for almost a month now. I'm gonna do it anyway, but I feel like this has been a waste of my time and energy. I was really happy with my instructor before this, but it's just really frustrating.

Thanks for anyone who sat through this. It's made me all weepy thinking about it. I really don't want to wait another two weeks to have my third class, because I know I can do that stuff between the book and CC. I'm tempted to just ask for my money back, but I'm not that kind of person...

12 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 13

Im sorry you were/are sick, and I hope you are filling better. personally I would ask for my money back, the class was canceled, and rescheduled and you were not informed, it does not matter that you were sick, you paid for something, and didnt receive it. Im sorry you now have to work with someone different, that seems very frustrating.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 13

Chances are if you ask for your money back they won't be able to give it to you. Because you were there for two lessons. At Michaels, from what I understand if you come to class you can't get your money back.

Now as a WMI if someone misses a class I always tell them they are more than welcome to come in the next time I offer it. I always tell them to watch the class schedule. I do not keep a list of who missed what class and make phone calls to remind them. Because that really adds up over time.

When it comes to classes being rescheduled, that is a different story. For example this month I had to miss the first night of C2 because we had snow where and I knew my students were coming from smaller towns. I told them we would meet the following week at the same time. Since I wanted to get back on track with the calendar, we discussed what would be a good time for everyone in class for the make up day. Most of the time I don't even bother will make up days and just go a week behind schedule.

I would say since you have the book and supplies, try the flower at home and see how it goes. Do you have to do the next class with the other instructor or can you wait until the instructor you know is offering it again?

Odyssey Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #4 of 13

Unfortunately it sounds like my choice is suck it up and use the other instructor or nothing.
It's not so much the rescheduling (though it is an annoyance, I understand), it's more being told I would be called and never hearing a word.

I feel well enough to make cakes, just not well enough to drive myself and carry heavy loads. I'm only considered contagious by saliva and I'm not coughing or sneezing (not to mention I'm washing my hands like crazy!).

I will take the other instructor, but I'm just a bit upset. My cakes will be amazing no matter what and I'll walk away with my last Wilton paper!

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

So your upset about not being called about a class you would have missed anyway, cause you had highly contagious mono? Nice.

Wow! This is the petty meanness that no member of this community deserves.

Odyssey, I completely understand your disappointment. Regardless your attendance to the class or not, it's the principle and courtesy of a phone call that was placed to all the other students and not you.

Odyssey Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 13

Had my instructor called me my plan was to ask if she minded doing a personal reschedule or if I could have my mother (who I show all my cake stuff) sit in for me and take detailed notes. Granted I wouldn't get the full benefit of the course session, but I could have had a plan and more options. I would never dream of exposing others to illness. I think anyone who wants to deal with food should be highly concerned about health of those around them and the food they handle.

I'm missing school and work because I'm ill, even though my work insists I should be fine by now. My entire family who have taken care of me are doing well because we are being careful with my illness. Mono is considered contagious through saliva, so I'm avoiding contact with my mouth to anything unless I'm ingesting it and I wash my hands every time I eat. The class (had we been on schedule) would have ended before my illness set in, so we have had reschedules and who's to say I wouldn't have been better by the time we got a new session?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 13

I'm sorry Odyssey for the less than respectful posting of a previous poster (which I am terribly surprised). I'm going to guess what she was meaning to say is that she doesn't believe the instructor felt that you should be attending the class with your illness, which seems we all agree. I understand your situation and it would have been nice to let you know but I am sure the instructor has lots of students to try to keep up with. Just go to the class you missed and make the cake you want. Remember you can always retake the class.

I'm sorry this has nothing to do with telling someone what they want to hear. It has to do with giving your opinion respectfully.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #8 of 13

Your instructor is probably a germaphobe, lol I know I am

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #9 of 13

Actually, I find it extremely appalling that the people at the store relayed to the instructor that you had Mono. Even if you told them that, it was not their place to tell the instructor.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:17am
post #10 of 13

{admin edit}

Op, I think the instructor should have called you. You really can't send in another person to write notes or anything like that. The wilton instructor gets paid hourly by Wilton and they don't pay for a personal makeup class. Can you wait until she has another class?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:40am
post #11 of 13

Julzs I LOVE LOVE your castle cakes! Sorry off topic.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 13

Is your instructor not teaching anymore?

Doing a private make up lesson would be up to the instructor, but I can say that she'd have to do it for free. We are only paid for the scheduled classes, 4 classes per session. I've actually had a few times where I had a scheduled class and no one showed up, and because no one was there, I didn't get paid. Believe me it sucks, but it happens.

I try to work with my students when they miss a class. I'll come in a little earlier or stay a little later, but I have yet to do a free private lesson. And if I was asked right now, I'd say no. I work full time, plus do the classes. After Saturday I will have been at Michaels for 4 classes this week.

I know it is a hassle, and I do understand where you are coming from. It sucks when we can't do the things we want to do. I'm sorry things can't work out with you taking the class from your instructor, but I wouldn't discount the other one quite so fast. We all have our own teaching style and if you open yourself up to it, then you may come out of her lessons with some new tips and other ideas.

Good luck on finishing up the class.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Julzs I LOVE LOVE your castle cakes! Sorry off topic.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%