Wedding Cake Filling Paired With Fondant Advice, Please

Baking By iprruss Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 4:44am by DetailsByDawn

iprruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iprruss Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I have some concerns, please advise me:

1. Box recipe sturdy for 3 tier cake: I have a tasting in few days and I offer a chocolate fudge cake, can I use the box from the store and mix it after the directions on the box? I did before other wedding cake with the box and they were fine. But reading all the box recipes here, I can see you add some other ingredints, too. It is going to be sturdy for a 3 tier wedding cake (100 servings) covered with fondant the box recipe?
I do offer second almond and third vanilla, so I thought just get the yellow cake box and add some almond favor for the almond and vanilla for the vanilla.

2.Smallest tier Fondant freezing. Fondant cake isn't recommended it for freezing for the 1-st year anniversary right, but if they insist than how they freeze it? In this case then we do not count the top cake for the 100, right?

3. Bavarian filling dilemma. Please help me and tell me if the Bavarian Cream Filling can go with fondant? Usually I bake 3 days ahead of the event, second day I add the favor back in the fridge and approx 12 hrs before the event add the fondant and keep the cake at room temp.
I found here Bavarian filling here
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/food.htm#cakefilling, that means this one can stay out for 12 hours with a cake covered with fondant?

4. Add fresh fruit to the filling. How do you add fresh Strawberry and Banana to the Bavarian Cream? The strawberry won't separate from the butter cream? The banana won't get black or dark after cutting it up or smashing it?

5 Information in adding alcohol to the filling. How to use Rum, Kirsch, Amaretto, Grand Marnier and Kahlua for filling? I only make seach in the recipe serchin for the names or I get the best butter cream recipe and add the Rum, Kirsch, Amaretto, Grand Marnier and Kahlua. And how much? What is the best brand?

6. Pairing flavors. Is there a list any where in the forum that I can take down for pairing cake favor and filling flavors?

7. Flavoring fondant. Do you give any flavor to the fondant if you have already a favor in the cake, I should flavor it the same?

Thank you,
Iren

3 replies
Tyrannde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tyrannde Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:13am
post #2 of 4

Hi! Here's a link to a topic about cake & fillings! (Answer for question 6)
HTH

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-gourmet.html+flavors

iprruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iprruss Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 4

Thank you!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:44am
post #4 of 4

Hi Iprruss,
I'm no expert, but here's my opinion on some of your questions...

1. I wouldn't recommend a straight box mix for a 3-tier fondant covered cake. If you're not a fan of scratch, I would recommend at least using the WASC - a box mix extender where you would add sour cream/yogurt, flour, sugar and a few more ingredients. Just search WASC in recipes and you'll find several methods. This cake is a bit denser and sturdier than most box mixes.

2. If freezing the top tier - Pop the cake into the freezer for an hour or so, without any wrappings - this will set the fondant, icing, and any small decorations so they won't be damaged. Next, wrap well in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil to keep freezer burn off. Lastly, put the entire cake into a large freezer bag and suck the air out as best you can. Put it back into the cake box to prevent damage in the freezer. Should be almost as good as new next year, lol!

3. I don't like to give direction on refrigeration, so maybe someone who is familiar wth that filling can help, but even if you're decorating the same day, that cake will sit out longer than 12 hours between starting to decorate and being served and eaten at the event. Either choose a filling that can be comfortably left out at room temp (like ganache) or refrigerate the cake. I fridge all my fondant cakes, but use only MMF - never had a problem.

7. If you decide to flavour your fondant (you don't have to), I would flavour it the same as your icing - it will be adhered to it and they should go hand in hand.

Lots of luck to you! It sounds like you've taken on a big job that you haven't done before. Hope it all goes well for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%