Your Favorite/essential Decorator Equipment List

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm by Bettycrockermommy

tavyheather Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 26

Hi again! (I'm on a posting ROLL!) sorry...

I have never taken a cake decorating class or attended culinary school, but I have been able to do fondant covered cakes pretty easily. For all decor I've hand carved and improvised.

I'd like to start accumulating tools and even ingredients you think I will use often and are super essential.

A list of your faves would be great!! I am able to buy OL and am in San Diego, so there are a few supply places w/in reasonable distance, so hard to find items are ok!

TY!

25 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 26

If you take away my Melvira Roller, then I can't do another cake. Ever. Don't even ask me. I'll just put on my black armband and cry my little heart out.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you take away my Melvira Roller, then I can't do another cake. Ever. Don't even ask me. I'll just put on my black armband and cry my little heart out.




I agree completely!! and my Viva paper towels.

monet1895 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 26

I've looked at the Melvira method here on CC but I have not purchased a roller yet. Any tips before I buy?

andyneal331 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:49am
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by monet1895

I've looked at the Melvira method here on CC but I have not purchased a roller yet. Any tips before I buy?




It's a SUPER cheap buy and I just learned it from my Wilton Class that I'm taking.. my instruction learned it while in France in a Culinary School and was nice enough to share with us! It's way easier than the paper towel method in my opinion! Both are great for smoothing cakes though. Your buttercream must be crusted before using the foam roller though!!!!

Eisskween Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 26

Where can I purchase a Melvira Roller please? Any info greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif

andyneal331 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:27am
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Where can I purchase a Melvira Roller please? Any info greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gif




you can buy it at any home hardware place such as Lowes, Home Depot, etc!

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #8 of 26

Off to lowes paint dept! thanks for the tip!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #9 of 26

Here's one for you: the Pringles can!! Yep!! Put the pastry bag inside the empty pringles can, fold over the top of the can and you can fill your pastry bag quickly and easily -- no mess, no fuss! icon_biggrin.gif

andyneal331 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Here's one for you: the Pringles can!! Yep!! Put the pastry bag inside the empty pringles can, fold over the top of the can and you can fill your pastry bag quickly and easily -- no mess, no fuss! icon_biggrin.gif




OMG! So amazing!!! Thank you so much!!! I had a heck of a time doing that.. I just made a huge mess!! Pringles are going on my grocery list!! Hooray for junk food just so I can have a cheap tool for my cake baking! thumbs_up.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Here's one for you: the Pringles can!! Yep!! Put the pastry bag inside the empty pringles can, fold over the top of the can and you can fill your pastry bag quickly and easily -- no mess, no fuss! icon_biggrin.gif


I read that tip from you before and I just can't seem to get anyone to finish the PRINGLES!!! I want that can...thanks for the tip though.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #12 of 26

That was the very first cake tip I ever learned from the very first night of my very first cake class!! And it's still the one I use the most to this day! icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Here's one for you: the Pringles can!! Yep!! Put the pastry bag inside the empty pringles can, fold over the top of the can and you can fill your pastry bag quickly and easily -- no mess, no fuss! icon_biggrin.gif




I LOVE it, Bob!! One of my many "why didn't I think of that" moments...soo many messy fiascoes which could have been avoided

Margieluvstobake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:26am
post #14 of 26

My small off set spatula. I can't do anything without it.

kricket Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:46am
post #15 of 26

I can't ice a cake without a turntable anymore. I just use the inexpensive Wilton ones. A turntable and an offset spatula can work wonders.

mommyle Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:47am
post #16 of 26

I need an empty house. Or a baby sitter. So that I can have a few moments to myself!!!!!!

Seriously, though, I highly recommend a really good digital scale. One that easily jumps from oz to g. and that measures up to 10 pounds.

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:49am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

I need an empty house. Or a baby sitter. So that I can have a few moments to myself!!!!!!

Seriously, though, I highly recommend a really good digital scale. One that easily jumps from oz to g. and that measures up to 10 pounds.




been thinking of investing in one..and recommendations on a good brand?

and tell me about it...having twin 2yr old boys all I ever want is me time!

indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:17am
post #18 of 26

oh that pringles can thing is da BOMB! Love that one!

leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:02pm
post #19 of 26

heavy duty turntable
digital scale
Agbay
Magic Line pans
small crock pot
bench scraper

dberck Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm
post #20 of 26

Great ideas! Love the Pringles can suggestion.

Leah - what are you using the small crock pot for?

monet1895 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #21 of 26

I was just wondering the same thing about the crock pot. However, I did just look up the Agbay, and all I can say is OMG that thing rocks! That is definitely going on my wish list!!! Do you use the single or double blade?

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by monet1895

I was just wondering the same thing about the crock pot. However, I did just look up the Agbay, and all I can say is OMG that thing rocks! That is definitely going on my wish list!!! Do you use the single or double blade?




WOW...did u see how many torte layers there were!! I am such a cake nerd! This is sooo cool!

tavyheather Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

heavy duty turntable
digital scale
Agbay
Magic Line pans
small crock pot
bench scraper




6 things I am def. adding to my list..I trust ur suggestions!! But wht is the crockpot for??

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #24 of 26

Bench Scraper icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #25 of 26

Turntable, I have 3 and my favorite is my Snooda from Ikea for 7.99!! Don't ask me why it's called snooda. But the lightweight one is good too. Heck I believe I read the cheapo wilton one will hold up to like 100lbs.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #26 of 26

I also love my vinyl for protecting my table, and working my fondant on. I have multiple pieces in didfferent sizes, depending on the project I am working on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%