Taking The Plunge...

Business By mommabuda Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm by mommabuda

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 6

Awhile back I was posting here about finally finding a church kitchen. Well, costs turned out to be way too much to even consider it. We would rather take that money we would pay for renting their kitchen space and pay a loan to add onto our current home. I want to jump into doing this sooner than later before our "fantastic" city council decides to change any home business laws. Right now I could add on a second kitchen and bake/sell through the internet or phone orders as long as the traffic stays low (or completely unnoticable (is that a word?) in our neighborhood. I have 5 wedding cake orders already for this summer and have more rolling in (figuring I was going to have this church kitchen to use)... luckily the vendors are not requiring a license for me to bring those cakes in so I can still do them BUT I really want to get the ball rolling on a construction loan so that maybe we could have this built by next summer.

Questions is... am I good enough? I get orders constantly and people are not ordering from me because I'm cheap. I charge the same prices as everyone else in the area and they still want me to make their cakes. WDYT?

5 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 6

well, my first concern when looking at your cakes was the amount of copyright issues (this is a hot button for me).

otherwise, your fondant work looks good. I'd say your buttercream looks good too, but could use just a little fine tuning on the finish. For example, some of the top corners have smudges. Maybe just a little more practice will get them perfect.

hope that helps.

mommabuda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 6

Thanks. Of course I wouldn't be selling any copyrighted images (I know that much!) but I appreciate the criticism... I don't get that very often from customers (everyone just raves about the cakes) so thank you, really.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 6

It doesn't matter what we think so much as what you know. Are you turning orders down due to lack of space/time? Do you have the self discipline to get up early and go to bed late? Do you have a business plan? A supportive family that doesn't mind eating a lot of tacos? (that's all my kids could make, LOL)

mompah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mompah Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 6

I didn't take too much time to look at all of your cakes, however I looked at the first page and noticed that 22 of your cakes are favorites on this site. That is a thing to be proud of which should give you the confidence to move forward. That actually brings me to my point, your work is wonderful, but in life that doesn't matter if you don't have the confidence in yourself to pull it off. You will know, and so will your clients. So here is my boost for the day YOU CAN DO IT!! your work is lovely, and I think that you should go for it, better to try now then to not and always wonder what could have been!
I do agree with the self discipline, but when I look at your work, I think you probably already have it.
Best of luck to you!

mommabuda Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you! I do have great self discipline. I also believe to go for things earlier in life rather than later. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out and we move on... it won't be devastating. Thank you, thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%