Silver Cake Plateau

Decorating By KarlaMarla Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm by KarlaMarla

KarlaMarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarlaMarla Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone advise on what to look for when purchasing a silver cake plateau. I love how they look, but there seems to be a wide range of prices, and I don't want to end up with something that won't hold up to a heavy cake. I've seen one at Hobby Lobby at a good price (especially with a coupon), but it doesn't seem very heavy-duty. Anyone with experience in this area? Thanks a bunch!

5 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have any advice, but have been wanting to get one. Like you, I am uncertain of the quality. I am interested in seeing what advice you get. icon_smile.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 6

I've got several and they are all pretty good. The one from Hobby Lobby holds up just fine. Its only 14 inchs, so the cake on top can't be too big.

My only issue is that if they are silver plated, they will need to be polished regularly. I've got 4 that I have to polish about every other week (they are display in my lobby)

KarlaMarla Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

Good to know that the Hobby Lobby one is okay. Do you have to polish that one? Do you mind sharing where you got your other ones? Thanks!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 6

no, the hobby lobby doesn't need polished.

Oh goodness, I've gotten some from all over.... Hobby Lobby, ebay, restaurant auctions, websites, cake friends (you know who you are icon_lol.gif ) and a few from various websites. I just kinda looked all over for some good deals and I've bought them as I go. I did get one that is a set from ebay. Its got a 6 inch (never used!), 14 inch, 18 inch and 22 inch! That 22 inch is absolutely humongous icon_eek.gif

KarlaMarla Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, I'm looking on ebay too. The ones on cake supply sites seem really pricey compared to ebay, but I didn't know if it was because the quality was better. Thanks for your info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%