Starting Wilton Classes

Decorating By overindulged Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm by DebbyJG

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 15

I'm starting my wilton classes this thursday! whoohoo!

I started last year with the whole cake hobby and am getting pretty good with fondant... but my piping skills, are well, not even lacking, but nonexistant! I can't pipe a BC rose to save my life and piping borders makes me anxios. LOL. I'm excited to learn the basics. icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 15

Good luck and have fun! I love teaching the rose, folks are so excited when they actually make one! icon_smile.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:54am
post #3 of 15

Have fun! I am also a WMI and love teaching. I think you will like it.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:18am
post #4 of 15

oh the almighty buttercream rose, i made a hundred, i watched tutorials on u-tube, getting the frosting can be tricky, i was told to open the tip a little and that helped, and also a litttle karo syrup in the gc, i try and hold the rose directly in front of me, bring your pedal's toward you, they said don't twist your wrist, watch edna, and the others, some are so fast, but forget that just go at your own speed i still make some that will just go flat then i got a really good one and dropped it lol, sometimes your hand will warm the icing, so you can lay in a bag of frozen vegies, but i will say i don't believe they will ever come out like the one in the book, just practice and practice, here' one when i finished the classes i forgot to practice,so don't forget and good luck, and don't buy any with out a coupon

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #5 of 15

Good luck and have fun!

Jayn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayn1 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #6 of 15

I start my Wilton class tomorrow night (Tuesday). I can't wait! I've made 7 star tip decorated cakes for my daughter's birthdays using the molded cake pans. I made my son's 1st birthday cake last year and it was star tip decorated as well. It was Mickey Mouse (just the head) and the molded pan is no longer available. Not only was it my first attempt at carving but also decorating from a sketch. I attempted fondant this past summer for an end of summer party. I recreated our pool. I'm excited to learn the proper techniques and correct what I taught myself. I'm looking forward to taking all the courses. I hope you enjoy your class as much as I will enjoy mine!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 15

Hope you have a great time! icon_smile.gif

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #8 of 15

thanks. I've been getting a lot of "wow, you're cakes are so great, you should be teaching the class!" I'm flattered, but icon_rolleyes.gif .... I always retort with I have to go back and learn the basics! I skipped ahead and learned fondant, but I gotta learn BC! icon_biggrin.gif 2 more days!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:00am
post #9 of 15

I absolutely love my Wilton Courses. I am a repeat offender in most of them! My teacher is not only amazing, but makes it so much fun and she is so informative about all aspects of caking. I am actually taking Course 1 over again, to try and learn that dang buttercream rose and to just get out of the house and do something cake related! Hahaha! I have done all the courses twice. And I would prob do 2 and 3 again if I have the time. Have fun!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:35am
post #10 of 15

I hope you have fun. I'm not great at the buttercream rose, but when I did level 2 I found I could make flowers with royal icing much easier. Don't know why, but I'm glad I took the courses. Plus the books are good reference.

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:54am
post #11 of 15

Good Luck ..... I had sent in to be a WMI .. they called me yesterday ... and the lady said the superviser would be intouch... yay..

Go have fun and ask alot of questions.....

Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 15

i love watching the students learn, and see their faces light up, it will be something you seriously will never forget. to this day, my mother says "i learned that in those wilton classes", haha she took them and i took them... now i teach them, love it! Have fun, and good luck!

allkidzmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allkidzmom1 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 15

I hope you enjoy it!! I just finished Course 1 and have taken 1 night of course 3. I am making at least 2 cakes a week to practice. It is so much fun...........I think I am getting obcessed........I see icing when I put tooth paste on my toothbrush. It is bad, but I love it!! ENJOY

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 15

Allkidzmom are you making shells on your toothbrush?

I always tell my students that when I took the Wilton Courses that is when my obsession began. Pair the classes with message boards like these and watch out! icon_smile.gif

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 15

LOL I was just thinking the same thing last night. I wondered, "Am I the only one who thinks about drawing out the bead into a tail as I'm dispensing the toothpaste on my toothbrush???" Thanks, now I know I'm not alone. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by allkidzmom1

I think I am getting obcessed........I see icing when I put tooth paste on my toothbrush. It is bad, but I love it!! ENJOY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%