Decorating By tesso Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 3:38am by Evoir

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #31 of 57

You're welcome!

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #32 of 57

averagemom- amen to that! I fell like you do- I come here for answers, not feeling like I have them! Do you know what forum that is on- about ppl leaving/being banned?

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:16pm
post #33 of 57

I have been feeling that the boards don't seem as helpful as they once did. I recently posted a question with little response and also got a PM fussing at me for using the bum* word. Thanks for explaining that some have left. That is the answer as to why things aren't as friendly seeming. I would love to be part of the helpfulness, but I feel like such a dork giving advice since I am a total novice. icon_smile.gif Thanks to all of you who have made CC a great place for beginners.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #34 of 57

I find that some posts lack sufficient information to provide any type of help. And getting the info can be a challenge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie

I am a newbie and I have a great cake recipe that tastes great and everyone loves it, but Im having problems with it rising. My cakes come out less that an inch. Please help!!

(Meaning no disrespect to the poster, we all have to start somewhere. But presenting your question with all necessary info for determining the problem is crucial in order to get the most accurate and complete or even any answers. Or in computer speak: garbage in = garbage out.)

In addition to the reasons already posted, here's a list of previous threads on the topic:
(Also included are opinions of the search feature, answering a post with a link, answering pm's and other comments...)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-664500-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-347493.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603551-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-637354-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669183-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-667334-.html

And so as to keep this thread on topic, here's a link about the missing members:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-671594-.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissylips

I have been feeling that the boards don't seem as helpful as they once did. I recently posted a question with little response and also got a PM fussing at me for using the bum* word.

Here's my fussy bump form letter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Just wanted to let you know that "bump is an outdated device used to bring a topic back to the homepage for viewing.

Most members don't wait for topics on the homepage to change in order to respond to posts, neither do most troll the forums one by one looking for new posts. Instead, most members view CC by using the "view posts since last visit" feature in "forum."

Waiting for the homepage subjects to change allows shows you the posts made since you logged on. Using "view posts since last visit" shows you ALL the posts entered since last you logged on.

If you try "view posts since last visit" once - I can guarantee you'll never view CC any other way. It's so much faster and brings up SO MANY MORE posts - with no chance of overlooking a single one! Who could ask for more.

Please try it, and let me know what you think.

Look forward to seeing you online,

JanH

Being fussy can be so tiresome, I'm going to sign off for now and have some chocolate.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #35 of 57

Another really good search method that works for me is to use your preferred search engine (ours is set for google) then type in the topic followed by cakecentral. For example try......smoothing buttercream cake central......works like a charm. I also have wandered into the unanswered posts but found I could only tackle a small number as I don't work with fondant, chocolate, or really creative design ideas. It is kind of fun to wander around there and answer the ones I can though. Makes me feel really useful compared to answering the same question as a bunch of others.

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm
post #36 of 57

I just learned something new - thanks!! I didn't know you could do the search on google like that!! icon_smile.gif

(there have always been "unanswered" posts, that isn't anything new. It was just brought up to the front and people never realized that they could see them that way. I like going in and answering the ones I can help with too! Just didn't want you to think that is a NEW phenomina. icon_wink.gif

xmstazx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xmstazx Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #37 of 57

I agree the search feature here does not work well. I always try to search here first before I post a question, and I never can get the search to work. I have also used google but sometimes you get TONS of threads that do not meet your needs

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #38 of 57

loucinda- thanks for the google search method1 i have heard it metioned before but had no idea how to use it! thanks agin.

Loucinda Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #39 of 57

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm
post #40 of 57

I'm a very experienced Internet user and I too find the CakeCentral search algorithm difficult to use. I often come up with irrelevant search results or if there's only one or two threads on a subject, you have to come up with just the right wording to yield anything relevant. For example, how do I know whether to use "roll out cookie" or "cut out cookie", additionally if the relevant thread titles are misspelled, it's just impossible to find what's needed.

Agreeing with the posters who said it's easier to find things using Google. Another way to do it is to type "site:cakecentral.com roll out cookie flavors". Just a shortcut for the whole Google --> advanced search thing.

Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #41 of 57

WooHooo!!!! Another new idea on searching I didn't know.....thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:05am
post #42 of 57

I usually ask a question at 2 or 3 in the morning haha and wonder why no one answers..........duh....I figured out they were sleeping...not everyone has trouble sleeping like me I guess....

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:23am
post #43 of 57

Hmmm... I have had several unanswered posts. I just thought no one likes me. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:52am
post #44 of 57

Elcee - I just went to try to answer your unanswerd posts, and could not find any - which ones were they? We'll see if we can help you out!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #46 of 57

lol...........Jan is spooky man

Loucinda Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #47 of 57

Well, I tried to help with your broken DVR!

The other one from Feb. 11 - that one I can't help with!

Hope the cake show was fun!!

(thanks JanH !)

tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #48 of 57

Yeap I would like to agree that the search feature on Cakecentral is outdated. Maybe an upgrade by admin. I find it hard to search for anything. so funny i was thinking about it b4 i saw this post.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:53pm
post #49 of 57

Agree with the search feature. Great tip about using google! I think a lot of time my posts don't get a lot of response because of time differences.

Elcee Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:42pm
post #50 of 57

Thanks, JanH and Loucinda! At least now I don't feel like I'm back in middle school icon_smile.gif.

I did get my high altitude issues addressed elsewhere...I'll check in about the DVR in that thread.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:52pm
post #51 of 57

I, too, dont' understand why people say the search doesn't work. I use it all the time with GREAT results (mostly to get links to threads that answer the question being asked in a new thread), but I use the "old" search ..... click on the forum tab, then click the word "search" that is in white letters right under the forum tab.

If you're using the (new) search tab itself, then I understand why you think the search doesn't work. I NEVER use that one. Used it a couple of times in the beginning and didnt' like getting links to photos and articles when I was looking for forums/threads. So I just use the one in the forums/threads tab.

Also, less is more. The fewer words used, the better the results. For example:

If I search for "SPS system", I'll get 5348 matches.
If I search for "SPS", I'll get 1222 matches.
If I search for "SPS" and then enter "leah_s" in the 'author' field, I'll get 342 searches.

The fewer words AND if you can add an author that you know was in the thread, it really narrows it down and you get the best thread matches.

Elcee Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Quote:

Hope the cake show was fun!!

Loucinda, I forgot to answer this...the cake show was awesome, I won 1st place in my division/category and was really excited...then...I got on here and someone had posted some ugly stuff that was completely untrue and it really deflated my mood.

Sorry for the hijack, everyone!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #53 of 57

I asked a question recently about what proportion of a normal cake tier price do you charge for a styrofoam cake dummy tier, and got no answers at all!

Can some-one please please tell me if this was just a stupid question, and hence got ignored, because I am SERIOUSLY clueless! I always search first for answers, but my last resort is asking on a forum here on CC. If it was a stupid question, can someone please tell me why?

(I am totally serious in asking this!)

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #54 of 57

I agree with JanH, many of the unanswered posts are very vague. It's usually not worth the time or effort to ask the poster more specific questions. If the poster does return a reply, they are still vague. Many want the "magic" answer without putting any effort of their own into it.

I like helping those who really need it, are at a dead end, and are appreciative of the help received.

Michele

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:04am
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

I asked a question recently about what proportion of a normal cake tier price do you charge for a styrofoam cake dummy tier, and got no answers at all!

It costs more for a Styrofoam cake.
You need to take into account the price of the foam (including shipping or gas for the car unless you pick it up while you're out.)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #56 of 57

Evoir, I think most of us charge a styro cake at 80% of the real cake cost. You do save on the electricity or gas to bake it, no torting or filling. Other than that, everything is the same.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #57 of 57

Thanks Leah...that DOES help. I've never used styro outside of show cakes, and have a bride interested in making her cake look bigger.

(You know, if it were ME ordering a cake, I'd just get the real thing!!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%