Hood For Convection Oven?

Business By cakesonoccasion Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm by loriemoms

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 7

I've been told I need a hood to vent my electric convection oven. It's a large Deluxe oven- anyone have a hood for theirs? I'm having a heck of a time finding a proper one. I do not have a cook top or range, and do not need the fire suppression- just a regular hood. Any suggestions? Thanks!

6 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:13am
post #2 of 7

you don't need one here for an electric convection oven, are you sure you really need one?

the dude at the restaurant supply told me i needed one too...the building inspector said no i didn't...and passed me.

who told you that you needed one?

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 7

I researched my city codes before making a choice gas or electric. In my city electric ovens do not need hoods. I wanted gas but not the extra expenses.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:45am
post #4 of 7

I am currently having the same issue with my Deluxe oven. Although if I were putting in only one, it wouldn't be an issue. It is because I've got a kosher kitchen and therefore two ovens. I was told I need a type two hood because the total kilowatt usage is over 15 kilowatts. You can have up to 12 without a hood, and each cr-2-3 is 7.4 kilowatts. The fact that the plan is to only use one at a time doesn't matter, apparently. icon_sad.gif

How big is your Deluxe? If less than 12 kilowatts than by NSF/ANSI 4 standard, you should be able to avoid the hood. If you can't, a type II is less expensive than type I because you don't have to deal with grease.

Here is a California document that is similar to the standard in other states. Pages 7-10 are the most relevant, I think
http://www.madera-county.com/envhealth/pdf/food-safety/Do%20I%20Need%20a%20Ventilation%20Hood.pdf

If I lose this appeal, I'm not sure what brand of hood I'm putting in, so if you find inexpensive, let me know.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:15am
post #5 of 7

We are going through this battle right now as well, as we are moving our Deluxe from a home business to a retail space. The guy over at Deluxe whos name escapes me, gave us some documentation and a letter from the state of california that Deluxe ovens are designed just for baking cakes, have no grease risks and dont need hoods. Maybe you can get a copy of that document from him? Will let you know how battle goes too!

PS I love my deluxe btw!!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:54am
post #6 of 7

The guy at Deluxe is Russ D'Aiuto. The problem is that his letter from the California Health Department is from 1992. I'm not sure they will accept a letter from 18 years ago. Also, there now is a thing about each county having local discretion, which I think was not the case back then.

Since it is counter productive to my case anyway, becasue it specifically says one oven, I didn't use it, but the letter he wrote describing his equipment might be OK. I sent it along with my appeal. It's been a month and I haven't heard back, which I assume is a bad sign. My contractor is just " a little" frustrated.

Loriemoms, You aren't in California are you? If so and you get around the hood, please let me know and I'll do the same for you. Maybe we can help each other's cases.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 7

no, I am not in California, I am in Cary NC, but the laws here are crazy! We have a 10 page document on where to place our signs on our doors! (even the mastercard and visa sign has to be a certain amount of inches from the handle and such!) We are struggling trying to find if we even need a hood because the laws change like every day!!! So I know what you mean about the letter being 18 years old.

Good luck with your appeal!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%