The Only Good Thing Bout This Cake Was The Fbct

Decorating By Bella214 Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm by Bella214

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 13

Well. At least I learned FBCT. The friend that asked for this cake was unable to make any prior financial contribution, so I had to do the best I could with what I had. She wanted to spend about 60.00 and I am completely discouraged now. This cake is barely worth 10.00.

For some reason, both of the red velvet cakes cooked extremely crooked and for SOME reason, I could not seem to level them out. SO, the cake is very crooked. The FBCT was too thick and what was supposed to be an African cultural thing, looks more Spanish to me....probably because of the star border around the FBCT.

I was doing all this with a mask and gloves on because I suddenly got the flu in the afternoon yesterday and it was much too late for me too tell her I could not do it. This morning, my two year old stuck his fingers in the FBCT. I don't know if you can see the prints, but I can.

I am disappointed. I am discouraged. Is there anything at all good about this cake? I have been doing this for a long time, and NEVER have I made a cake that looks this bad. It's due at 2pm and I simply do not have the time to redo.

My thoughts? I am just going to give her the cake. No charge. She could have gotten something nicer at Wal-Mart. I was horribly sick last night and my heart was NOT in decorating, but still. Any thoughts?

Image[/img]

12 replies
Bella214 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 13

anyone around?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 13

Awww everyone has a bad day.....

Any yellow icing leftover to fill in and smooth over the finger holes? I usually try to keep my colors on hand until after pickup, in case of problems. (Knock on wood, I didn't today!)

I don't think the friend will feel as badly about it as you do. Just wait and see her reaction before you start apologizing! Customers don't know, necessarily, when you are not happy with your own work.

Bella214 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Any yellow icing leftover to fill in and smooth over the finger holes? I usually try to keep my colors on hand until after pickup, in case of problems. (Knock on wood, I didn't today!)

I don't think the friend will feel as badly about it as you do. Just wait and see her reaction before you start apologizing! Customers don't know, necessarily, when you are not happy with your own work.

I am so much better at childrens cakes. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I cannot help it. I am just so disappointed.

Bella214 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Oh and she wanted a red velvet cake with red, yellow and green BC icing. The thing is, without the use of fondant, bc isn't really meant to merge other colors the way she wanted and fondant is not cheap. Nor do I know how to use it, but this was an unpaid job to begin with so I footed all the expense.

She used a decorator in VB once and was asking me how they made the dots on her cake. I am pretty sure she will notice the difference between that cake, and this one. But just the same, I DID tell her I wasn't PRO and that I was still learning.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 13

I just handed out a cake I wasn't thrilled with today....I guess it happens to everyone.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 13

Don't kick yourself just yet -- she may just love it!!!

I did a cake last summer for a friend at church. I somehow forgot to level it, so it was domed on the top. I thought the colors were waaay to pastel and didn't "pop", it developed a HUGE airbubble in the buttercream, so I had to burst it and cover it up with a ridiculous-looking flower, etc. etc.

Well, the woman loved it and has ordered 2 more cakes since!!! There's no accounting for taste LOL

So, don't fret too much, and I hope you recover from your bug ASAP!

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 13

I think you're being way to hard on yourself. I think the cake looks fine and I bet she will be very happy with it. Hope you start feeling better.

Bella214 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 13

Ok. She loved the cake? Wow. In fact, everyone did and I was asked to make 2 birthday cakes and a summer cake???

What a surprise. When they asked if I did this from my home I told them yes, but not professionally and they were all lecturing me lol. "You think this isn't "professional"?, one asked me. Another asked me how much cake i could make for 200.00???

Thank you all very, very much!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 13

Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you, and I hate to say I told you so, so I won't icon_wink.gif

Bella214 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you, and I hate to say I told you so, so I won't icon_wink.gif

LOL. Thank you. I still don't like it and wish I could do it again. I DO have to take into account my budget limits as this job was not paid ahead of time, and the fact that I had the flu.

At any rate, this coming weekend brings new and bigger challenges. My son turns 8 and he wants a Bakugan Cake. I am making a sheet cake as the metal gate card, with FBCT for the logo (now that I know how to do it I love it!

I am also using MMF to make the Bakugan on top of the card using the Wilton 3D ball pan. I REALLY hope I can do this. It doesn't look that hard in the tutorials but I made home made fondant last year and it was a disaster. This year, I will have a back up plan lol. AND I will only make one batch of fondant at a time instead of making it all at once. Just in case.

gina0475 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina0475 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 13

Awwww, my heart goes out to you!!!! so much because I have been in this situation twice actually - In my case, I joke that when someone is paying me a lot I screw up because I think I get extra nervous about it.

But really the cake is not as bad as your seeing it I bet if you check out that pic in a few weeks you will say to yourself "its not as bad as I was seeing it". I do the same. I get mad at myself when its sloppy I hate that, but some nights when you are really not into it, it comes less than you know you are capable of.

this is still impressive its a butter cream Africa for God sakes you did great!! Hope after hearing she loved it you felt better.

Bella214 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina0475

Awwww, my heart goes out to you!!!! so much because I have been in this situation twice actually - In my case, I joke that when someone is paying me a lot I screw up because I think I get extra nervous about it.

But really the cake is not as bad as your seeing it I bet if you check out that pic in a few weeks you will say to yourself "its not as bad as I was seeing it". I do the same. I get mad at myself when its sloppy I hate that, but some nights when you are really not into it, it comes less than you know you are capable of.

this is still impressive its a butter cream Africa for God sakes you did great!! Hope after hearing she loved it you felt better.

I do feel better, but I still think the cake could have been better. I think money influenced it too though. I wanted to carve it into the shape of Africa and then use FBCT but it seemed like so much work for very little money and I DO have a family that loses my time when I do cakes.

At any rate, all of you are awesome and really helped me through it. I was a wreck about the whole thing beforehand because I had never had anyone ask me to make a cake for money before and it freaked me out lol. What would I do without Cake Central?? LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%