Slice Vs Cricut

Decorating By krisann Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 4:43pm by PrivateNameHere

krisann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krisann Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone using a Slice cutter. I have one and was looking for tips. If it doesnt work I'll have to save up for the Cricut.

Thanks
Kris

10 replies
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 11

About a month ago I went to a very large scrapbooking store in Houston and asked the same question. Of course they didn't have a clue about using either machine for gumpaste but I described the process with the Cricket and the consensus was that the Slice doesn't cut as deep. Not sure if that's true but I would also like an answer to your question. I love the size and portability of the slice - not to mention the price too.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 11

I've been wondering about this, too. I've heard that the Slice Elite cuts better and on thicker materials, which would probably be a good thing for us cakers/cookiers/cupcakers! I'd just like to see some "proof."

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 11

About a week ago I was given a cricut cake machine to try. I was so excited, since you can't go buy one just to try it out. I used icing sheets and fondant. I was sorry to say not really impressed with the machine. The concept is wonderful, but it was time consuming and didn't cut smoothly. Now maybe its because I have had no training on it, but I thought cookie cutters work a whole lot better and you can buy a lot of cutters and things with that kind of money. I don't know anything about a slice, maybe it works better. Have a good day.
Jeanne

MariaK38 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 11

I purchased a Slice Elite this week and used it yesterday on icing sheets. It worked wonderfully! Nice clean cuts and they lifted off the glass mat well. It didn't work as well on fondant, even after letting it sit and dry for a while. The cuts were fine on parts of the designs, but it dragged on other parts. I tried it on the glass cutting mat and the fondant was really hard to get off, and then on a plastic mat, which worked better. I'll have to try it a couple of other ways and see what happens.

MariaK38 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 11

oh, btw, the Slices are 40% off at Michael's this week. The accessories are 40% off as well.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 11

I searched for this because I just got a notification that Michael's is selling the Slice Elite. Has anyone had more research into this machine vs. the Cricut since this post was created? I am very tempted to buy it because the price is just oh so right!

MariaK38 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 11

hi! I purchased the slice elite a week or so ago at Michael's for $89. They were having a 40% off sale!
I used it on a frosting sheet and it worked great... just put a little crisco on the glass cutting board. Fondant didn't work so well. It wouldn't come off the mat for some reason. I tried it on a regular cutting board (put it on top of the glass one) and it worked better, but the machine slid around a bit because of the crisco. I'm going to try it again soon with less crisco on the sides of the mat, and not put it on top of the glass board.
It's all trial and error, just like with any machine, I guess!

PrivateNameHere Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 11

So it cut cleanly? I'm worried about having the edges look torn instead of cut.

MariaK38 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 11

yes, it cut the frosting sheet very cleanly. no ragged edges at all!

PrivateNameHere Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%