Working With Fondant/gumpaste After It's Been 'cricut-Ed'

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm by mandifrye

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5

I really want to get a Cricut - I am very impressed with the results I'm seeing, and I think it's time for a new toy!! However, I've bought toys before that have not lived up to expectations (edible image printer is a prime example, airbrush also to some extent, although that's more my fault because I can't do a thing with it). Anyway, I'm trying to manage my expectations with the Cricit, and understand what it will and won't do...

I would love to be able to cut lace panels for example, but I was wondering what the medium is like once it's been dried enough to go through the Cricut? If it's straight gumpaste I would expect it to be too stiff to do anything else to once it is cut..? If it's fondant with tylose added, can you then work it a bit once it comes out. For example, say I'd cut lace and wanted to frill the edges a bit, could I do that? Or if I cut one really large piece to go all around the base of a cake, is it flexible enough to bend in that way? Can you warm it with your hands to make it bendy again, or is the moment gone...?

Thanks to anyone for sharing your experiences.

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 5

I just watched Linda McClure's "Damask Wedding Cake" DVD (done with the cricut) and her gumpaste is very pliable and easy to work with. As far as frilling the edges I can't answer that. I don't think cutting a piece large enough to go completely around the base of a cake would be a good idea as it would be very hard to work with and possible tear. Linda does it in several sections in her videos.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #3 of 5

As far as the size, you are more limited by the machine than by the material - 24" is the longest mat, which is workable, depending how intricate your pattern. Frilling the edges would work as long as you do it soon after you cut. The GP stays flexible enough, especially if you overwrap it.

Tobias

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your replies.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 5

I have recently started with the cricut...and, after MANY, MANY hours of failed attempts, I found what works for me. I have learned that NO gumpaste I tried gave me the results I wanted. I also learned that fondant and tylose weren't solutions for me either...the cuts weren't clean, ect. However, I was trilled when I used candy clay in the machine...it didn't have to dry (just froze for a few minutes and cut with the deep cut blade), so, I was able to mold and curve exactly how I wanted to do it. I love working with candy clay, and use it for most of my cakes...so, it was a better and easier alternative for me! Just thought I would share!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%