Can I Freeze A Cake Once It's Covered In Buttercream?

Decorating By Sunshine93 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 1:51pm by leily

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake that will be picked up Sunday morning. If I fill and ice the cakes today in buttercream can I put them back in the freezer until tomorrow when I cover them with fondant? If so, what is the best way to get the fondant to stick to the frozen buttercream? I normally fill/ice/cover in fondant all the same day.

Thanks for the help!

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 4

what is in the cake that you need to freeze it over night? Most of my cakes I can leave on the counter overnight, unless there is a refridgerated filling, then I just put it in the fridge.

But to answer your questions. Yes you can freeze a cake with buttercream icing on it, stores and bakeries (not all, but some) do all the time. But if you're planning on covering it with fondant make sure you give it a few hours to come to room temperature so that it doesn't create air pockets under the fondant as it warms up and expands.

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 4

I don't have anything that needs to be in the fridge. I just assumed that the cake would stay moister and be easier to work with if it was frozen. Thanks for the advice!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 4

Once you have that layer of buttercream on there it will hold the moisture in, so leaving it out overnight won't hurt it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%