Transporting Stacked Cakes

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm by catlharper

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a cake for a baby shower this weekend. Its a two tier cake 6" & 9" and normally I would just assemble it there with wilton dowels. But I was really hoping to transport it already stacked.

What kind of inner support do I need to have in place so that the cake will not slide? Will a center dowel do the trick or do I need something else? The shower is like 10 mins from my house, but I would really like to not be freaked out for the whole 10 mins.

Thank you in advance.

12 replies
SororSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SororSweets Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 13

I just did a 2-tiered shower cake and I had 5 dowels in the base tier to support the top tier (my cakes were a 12" and 10" so you wont need as much support) and then a center dowel that ran through both. I also put a little bit of butter cream on the cake board before setting the base tier on. The weight of the cakes should keep it pretty secure. I traveled 25 minutes with mine on dirt roads and hills. Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 13

You should be fine with the dowels for a cake that small. However, if you ever what to be *really* secure, check into SPS. It was created to permit customer to transport their own stacked cakes, for bakeries who don't offer delivery.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 13

leah, do you know if you can drill holes into the center of the sps plates to allow for a central dowel???

I only ask because I have a cake safe and I'm dying to use it........but I don't feel secure with just dowels and cardboard anymore after using the sps.

I looked into just plain ol' wilton plates (since I don't NEED sps w/ the little poky thing if I'm drilling holes) but they're actually more expensive than the sps plates lol

Just wondered if you knew if it was possible to drill the center out of them (like a 2" hole or so)?

JAYSUNE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JAYSUNE Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SororSweets

I just did a 2-tiered shower cake and I had 5 dowels in the base tier to support the top tier (my cakes were a 12" and 10" so you wont need as much support) and then a center dowel that ran through both. I also put a little bit of butter cream on the cake board before setting the base tier on. The weight of the cakes should keep it pretty secure. I traveled 25 minutes with mine on dirt roads and hills. Good luck!

hi, delivering a cake sat afternoon to be used on sunday. when do i insert dowel rods / stack cakes. is it too early to do today?

KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 13

If I were doing the cake to be delivered on Sat. I'd make sure the entire cake was completed before going to bed on Friday!

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 13

Whisperingmadcow - I just used support dowels on the bottom and BC to "attach", no center dowel, and mine was just fine for a 45 commute over bumpy roads. I've read that a center dowel really isn't necessary for a two tier, but if you really don't want to worry, then center dowel it is!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 13

K,
I have never drilled a hole in an SPS plate and see absolutely no reason to do so.

KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 13

lol.....I know I know...but it's a cake safe!!! lol

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:38am
post #10 of 13

If it's a cake "safe", why do you need sps, bwah ha ha! You need to really test it, girl, go sps-less!

KHalstead Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 13

it's so hard..........I'm so scared!!!!

mla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mla Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 13

I am not a professional, but I have done stacked cakes (all with 6 and 9" tiers) and delivered them with no problems. I used 4 bubble straws in the bottom tier and put a wooden dowel down through the centre. On my last cake (train cake in photos), I didn't bother with the centre dowel and it was fine. I also "glue" my bottom tier to the cake board with buttercream to help prevent movement on the board and I've never had a problem. Good luck!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 13

I deliver to an area about 2 hours away 2-3 times a year and they are usually smaller two tier cakes and have always stacked them before travel and have never used a center dowel for any of them. Anything higher I would have to stack at the venue so I still wouldnt need a center dowel. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%