Custard Filling

Baking By anoldhippy Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 2:19am by prterrell

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 3

My SIL wants a chocolate cake with custard filling for his birthday. Any ideas for the custard? TIA

2 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 3

Here are three that I love. I believe the first one I got from CC, (sorry I don't have the name to give credit), the other two are old ones from my recipe box that I've had for years. Hope this helps.

BAVARIAN CREAM FILLING

4 C. Milk
¼ C. + 1 T. Granulated sugar
3 T. Plain gelatin
1 ½ t. Vanilla
4 Large eggs, separated

In a large saucepan, soften gelatin in cold milk. Place pan over hot water, stirring to dissolve. Whisk together yolks and ¼ C. sugar until light and pale yellow. Whisk in the milk and cook stirring constantly until smooth and thick. Remove from heat and set aside until warm. Beat whites, add 1 T. sugar and vanilla and beat until soft peaks form. Fold into the custard and chill until thickened.

OLD FASHIONED CUSTARD FILLING (I use in cream puffs)

Mix in saucepan ½ C. sugar, ½ t. salt and 1/3 C. flour. Stir in 2 C. milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it boils. Boil 1 min. Take from heat. Stir a little over half of the mixture into 2 eggs, or 4 yolks, beaten. Blend into hot mixture and bring JUST to boiling. Cool. Blend in 2 t. Vanilla.

VANILLA ENGLISH CUSTARD FILLING

2 Envelopes unflavored gelatin 1 C. Sugar
¼ C. Cold water       2 C. Milk, scalded
8 Egg yolks         2 t. Vanilla

Soften gelatin in cold water. Beat egg yolks with sugar until smooth and creamy. Gradually add hot milk. Cook over med heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat, add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add vanilla. Cool. Stir now and then to prevent a skin from forming on the cream. Makes about 3 cups.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%