Contact Paper Warped Cakeboard-Anyone Know What Went Wrong??

Decorating By erinki Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 12:16am by erinki

erinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinki Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all-
I am a novice baker, so I may be doing something wrong, but I am having trouble covering my cakeboard with contact paper. I covered a cake board (cardboard rectangle, bought from local cake decorating store) with patterned contact paper, but the contact paper must have shrunk or something, because by the next day the board had warped and was bent upwards and unusable. Do you need to cover both sides of the cakeboard (I only did the front with a bit of overlap to the back)? Was the cardboard cakeboard I used too thin? Was it the brand of contact paper?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Erin

5 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 6

I do not wrap cardboard in contact paper, so I am not sure. I wrap my masonite boards in contact paper without any problems. Then I place the cake board on top. If you are looking to just make a cardboard decorative, I would make a drum (glue multiple boards together) before. Then you can just use the contact paper on the top and use a ribbon around the edges. Or just use the fancy foil type products.

Contact paper hasn't been food approved, so I try not to have the cake in direct contact with it.

Hope that helps.

stephanie

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 6

For most cakes of any size, a single cardboard cake board is too thin and flexible for support.

You may want to use 2 or 3 of those boards taped together to create a nice decorative bottom board.

The adhesive on some of the colored contact papers is really strong. Depending on the way you adhered it, it may have pulled on the ends and cupped the board.

If you smooth the contact paper on the top of the board, turn it over, and then smooth over the excess to the back side of the board--one side at a time--you should get even adhesion and no cupping. Again, a thicker board won't have this problem at all.

The colored contact paper has lead in the colors, so you'll need a barrier between your cake and icing. A slightly larger board under the bottom cake layer or a piece of parchment will work fine.

Care to explain the "cow" comment below my post on this thread about clear contact paper?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6735116#6735116

HTH
Rae

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 6

i forget what brand i use, but the packaging specifically says it may shrink.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #5 of 6

blakes cakes I was really wondering about that also not sure what that was supposed to mean!

erinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinki Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the useful information. I am very sorry about the accidental "cow" message! My 4 year-old daughter was trying to search on the site for pictures of cow cakes for her birthday, and she apparently accidentally posted the word cow. Do you know how to delete posts? I will try to figure it out. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding. Children are so embarrassing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%