Converting Garage Space Into A Kitchen

Business By erinalicia Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 10:01am by minicuppie

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 8

I happen to live in NC where it is fairly easy to become legal to sell from home, but because my son has a therapy dog, I can't do it in my own home. My mother has a second garage that we use for storage and I've been considering "renting" it from her and converting at least half of the space into a kitchen. I was wondering if I can just set it up like a regular home kitchen with normal appliances or do I have to have commercial appliances? I don't plan on baking to the extent that I would need a commercial oven, etc, so I'd rather not have those expenses if I don't have to.

I know there are several people here who have converted garage space or basement space, just wondering if you had any advice or insight that might help me. This is something that is going to take me a while to do anyway, but I thought I'd ask here to start.

Thanks!

7 replies
cakelace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelace Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 8

I live in NC as well and I was wondering if it's allowable to have closed door areas like Kitchen and dining room with an access door through the kitchen where pets are not allowed. However pets would have access to the rest of the house. When you specify an area less than 20% of your home to use as your business can you have 2 sections of house and get by with having pets. I'm not sure how that works. Probably not allowable...maybe the garage is a better idea.
I haven't come across any rules specifically for garages, but since you don't have to have commecial equipment to operate your residential home based kitchen, not in the garage I wouldn't see why you would.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 8

I live in NC too and wonder about the rules. Were looking for a new home and want to get me licsenced but we have pets too. It totally sucks because my name is getting out pretty well and I want to be legal soooooo bad but dont have the proper space for it...What to do??? Any advise would be appreciated !

erinalicia Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 8

That's my problem. I have so many people asking me to do cakes. I don't advertise, it's all friends and friends of friends and I've just stopped doing them unless I don't accept any money for them. It's difficult because my family needs the money right now with our 3rd baby arriving at the end of the month.

If it weren't for my son's therapy dog, I wouldn't have any pets. I also live in an apartment right now which makes it questionable. My mom does have a small dog in her house which is why I would want to use part of the second garage.

My brother is a carpenter and could do all of that aspect of converting the space for me. What I had envisioned was a small kitchen that I could design right out of IKEA- love their storage and kitchen space planning. You can do a lot with a little space. The space is large enough that I could have a large work island as well as countertops and then a separate area for a computer/work space and could even set up a small area to meet with clients if it's allowed/needed.

At this point, I'd rather have a kitchen away from my home kitchen so that I can have the time to myself. I'm a stay at home mom and with my oldest son having special needs and my other one always trying to "help" when I'm working on a cake, having a place to "run away to" would be great!

I'll have to do some more research. Glad I'm not the only one looking into it! icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 8

OP's, my suggestion is you all start by checking the zoning in your prospective areas. Erin...I suggest you price both commercial and "home" ovens. You may be surprised...lots of good used equipment out there these days. Ya nevah know, your biz may take off and you end up with the added expense of commercial equipment anyway.

cakelace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelace Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:37am
post #6 of 8

The information found on these threads has encouraged me to stop operating. I've had my dog over 6 years, and my daughter loves her. Good thing I didn't quit my day job. My sisters can keep me in practice with all of thier kids birthdays and they all have dogs so they don't care. I've served cake to a friend with dog allergies and she was fine, actually loves the cakes I make. Good luck to both of you ladies in this thread looking to get started. I wish you the best.
I've chosen hobby. Then I don't have to worry about being illegal or some other decorator reporting me. Negative attention is worse than no business, for me.

erinalicia Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #7 of 8

For now, I'm just going to have to be a hobby baker. I'm looking into this, but we have to save the money to actually do it. My oldest son's needs take priority. Maybe one day, I'll get to have what I want or we'll move to a house where I can keep the dog out of the kitchen and decorating area so that I can do this legally. Not easy to do when you live in a little apartment.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 10:01am
post #8 of 8

I am proud of ya'll's integrity. I read way too many posts written by cakers that bake and sell illegally, not to mention the ones that take a Wilton class and want to jump right in before thinking things thru. Kudos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%