Cri-Cut - Anyone Out There Use It For Cakes?

Decorating By Miarch23 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm by tiggy2

Miarch23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miarch23 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 7

I recently decided to purchase a cri-cut to use for my cake orders. I mainly want to use it to cut out lettering, but no matter how thin I make my gumpaste, I can't get the contraption to cut all the way thru.

I make my own gumpaste using the wilton recipe and I run it thru a pasta roller.

Can anyone provide some words of advice?

Thank you in advance!

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 7

Are you using the deepcut housing and blade? You also have to let the gumpaste set up for about 10 minustes before cutting. Some gumpaste works better then others. If you do a search for cricut there are several threads on using it for cake with a lot of information. Linda McClure has some excelent DVDs with step by step directions and patterns.

tiggy2 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 7
craftygoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftygoddess Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 7

my boss bought the cricut and the dvd some time back and the dvd is not really a lot of help. listening to the lady talk about how she has no talent and explain the basics of the machine over and over is the most boring thing i've ever had to sit through. maybe its because i'm computer savvy enough to figure out how to work the machine and didn't need help with that part. i'm sure the dvd is ok for some people, but no matter how many people watched it no matter how many times, we still had problems. just my experience.
honey

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miarch23

I recently decided to purchase a cri-cut to use for my cake orders. I mainly want to use it to cut out lettering, but no matter how thin I make my gumpaste, I can't get the contraption to cut all the way thru.

I make my own gumpaste using the wilton recipe and I run it thru a pasta roller.

Can anyone provide some words of advice?

Thank you in advance!

Your gumpaste needs to be rolled out to .75 mm approx. set your machine on low speet pressure 2. You will need the deep cut blade.

Miarch23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miarch23 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you ladies!!

tiggy2 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 7

I found Linda's Damask Wedding Cake DVD very helpful as have a lot of others. She does talk a little slow and drag on a little but some people that have no experience may need that. I just fast forward through the repetative stuff and move on. Maybe you're just too advanced. for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%