Best Way To Make A Stand-Up Fence

Decorating By merriel Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm by ninatat

merriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merriel Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I am making a farm cake and want to have a stand-up fence on top, the entire circumference of the cake. Any advice on the best way to do this? I have considered using pretzel sticks, tootsie rolls, or melted chocolate. One of my concerns is that the material softens in the buttercream. Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

9 replies
Deenamgall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deenamgall Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 10

Hello I did a cake this past summer that had a fence!

I drew it out on paper, in sections of the fence put waxed paper over it, on a cookie sheet. I outlined it with stiff royal icing then thinned it out and filled in the outlines.

It dries real hard and was able to pick it up and stick it into the buttercream.

Hope that helps! Deena

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 10

Deena you beat me to the puch I was also going to say RI.

Good luck hope it works for you

Deenamgall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deenamgall Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 10

Sorry tried to add a pitcure and couldn't get it to work!

Here it is!
LL

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 10

I did a fence on two different cakes, both times I used gumpaste and it worked great. just made a pattern for the pickets, cut out a bunch, cut out two longer "boards", let them dry for a day, put it all together with a little gum glue, then on the back of each end picket, I put a skewer and covered it with another picket I had just rolled out (so it was pliable) so you can't see the skewer. Worked like a charm!
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 10

I did these fences by dipping small pretzel sticks into melted choc. (held them with tweezers) and then laid them on wax paper in a fence formation and when they set up, you peel them off and stick them in the cake.

Make sure you leave extra "post" room on the bottom to stick into the cake too.
LL
LL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 10

I used a candy mold and peanutbutter flavored candy melts....... The little girl LOVED them.... so did her Mom.....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1526823

merriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merriel Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 10

All great ideas - Thanks so much. It will be hard to choose which one to use!!!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 10

Another way to do it would be to make a gumpaste fence and let dry. After putting your fondant "grass" down, cut notches and insert the gumpaste fence into these notches to help support the fence.

Paul

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 10

Hi, i tried my hand at basket weave, not bad for the first time, but she also showed how to make a fence with that tip, looked good, but in ri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%