Hy-Top Brand Confectioners Sugar

Decorating By DiscoLady Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm by DiscoLady

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:56am
post #1 of 2

I'm from So. Calif. and was wondering if anyone is familiar with this brand of powdered sugar and uses it for their frostings and icings?
I can't remember if I buy it at Wal-mart or Winco. I usually buy whatever brand is on sale and I have been using this brand for awhile. However, yesterday I made a simple glaze for some lemon cupcakes using just the sugar and lemon juice and when my kids and husband bit into it they all said it tasted like soap! I was like what? So I bit into mine and it tasted like soap too!! I thought maybe it was the type of lemon I used but the lemon itself tasted fine so I took out the opened bag and to my surprise it was the powdered sugar that tasted like soap! I immediately took out my other bags and tasted some from a different batch and it had the same taste. Now I am left wondering if their sugar has always tasted this way as I never taste the sugar by itself before I use it. I've never had any complaints from my icing before either and perhaps it's becuase of the added ingredients; butter, shortening and flavorings, that masks the soapy-like flavor. I don't make glazes very often and perhaps the other times I made it I happened to use C&H or Albertson's brand, I just don't know! So please if you use this brand can you please do a taste test of the sugar alone and let me know if you taste something soapy about it? Thanks icon_smile.gif

1 reply
DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 2

bump icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%