Miss Betty Crocker Is Going Down.

Lounge By cammyblake1 Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm by 7yyrt

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:28am
post #1 of 22

I have been a lurker for some time, and signed up only now because I have no one else to complain to.

I am my wits end. I have spent a fortune on my new cake shop, and apparently I have intruded on the territory of an illegal home baker. Can we talk about that here? Because where I am, the HD shuts down the tamale vendors like there is no tomorrow, has shut down other cakers that were running flop house businesses, but apparently on this side of town they don't give a rat's behind.

I moved over to this side of town because it was a nicer part of town and the money to be made is here as opposed to the "south side".

So anyways, to get to the point. So Miss B, we'll just call her that, was in my shop the other day unbeknownst to me, my assistant said she came in. So she's asking my staff what the charges for this and that were, what our hard costs were (WTH???) and why we charged so much?? Luckily I have a crackerjack assistant who told her "we charged what we charge because we are professionals and we know the gosh darn value of a cake!" A few other things were said as well, but not so important.

So today, I find a flyer on my delivery van for Miss B's cakes. Are you serious?? First of all, she has pictures from PCB on her flyer and the bottom even says "we'll beat anyone's prices in town". So my assistant calls from a blocked number and asked for a quote for seriously detailed work that would only look good in fondant and would be $10 to $12 per serving from any reputable legal business. She said ANY design was $2.00/serving. She admitted to using all box mixes and premade frosting, which by the way-wth is premade frosting?

I am floored. I want her gone. And the amount of money and legal hoops I've jumped through, I think i deserve to have her gone.

21 replies
sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:49am
post #2 of 22

Welcome, and I'm glad you can talk openly here! We'll be here for 'yaicon_smile.gif

There are a lot of home kitchen bakers on this site, some who eventually want their own shops, some who just bake for family and friends. You will find many past forums referring to this topic, with lots of different opinions.

I would never turn someone in from baking at home, just because I don't work that way. I think you'll have to market yourself as professional, gourmet/from scratch or whatever your expertise is, and your training and skills. If she's acting like that so openly, I can't imagine she'll last with you around, but your part of town needs to find out about you. So -free samples, open houses, bridal shows, marketing professional offices, etc. Whatever it takes! You just need to educate everyone on the value of yours vs the lack of value of hers (value is MUCH different than price!). icon_smile.gif

cammyblake1 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:52am
post #3 of 22

Oh I'm aware of a lot of home bakers, that's not the issue. I had a legal home bakery (separate bldg on property)myself but needed to expand into retail for the space. I don't care about what people intend to do, want to do, dream of doing, I'm talking about this blatant woman who is practically taunting me where I work! That's just not cool.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:57am
post #4 of 22

I think this person definitely has some nerve to put one of her flyers on your delivery van. I may be wrong but I don't think she can last very long at $2 per serving.

cammyblake1 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:00am
post #5 of 22

Sally, apparently she has been the go to person over on this side of town for years. And her work is shoddy. Sorry, if you are a member here, but you really pissed me off and you're messing with my business, and I'm a bull when it comes to business.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:01am
post #6 of 22

i wouldn't worry too much about her...if she is "beating every price in town"...her target clients are the wall mart shoppers...yours are not.

i have a legal shop too....there are home bakers here too....i'm still booked solid every week.

oh BTW one of the cheaper home bakers ...got burned out from charging so little...and quit doing cakes.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:28am
post #7 of 22

Shrug. If it bugs you so much, report her to the HD. If she pissed me off enough, I probably would. And yeah, that's pretty ballsy to post pictures of other people's cakes on her flyer and to put it on your delivery van. Not cool. I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but I'm an unlicensed home baker. I don't sell my work much, but I do occasionally. And I know that when I do, I'm breaking the law and can get caught and punished. I wouldn't blame the person who reported me because I knew the risks going into it. I would deal with the consequences and go from there. So... I don't see the big deal in reporting her. What she's doing is apparently illegal there and she should know the risks. If she's reported, I'd say she brought it on herself.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:25am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyblake1

First of all, she has pictures from PCB on her flyer and the bottom even says "we'll beat anyone's prices in town".

If PBC is who I think it is (big cakery with beautiful cakes?) then why not send her flyer anonumously to them and let them sue her and bring her down? A big cakery like that probably doesn't like other people using their pictures and will do something about it.

Just a suggestion, good luck.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:42am
post #9 of 22

Heck $2.00 a slice for any detail? Order 5+ small cakes with really elaborate detail. Each one a different color theme, lavendar & lemon, sage & blush, etc....with pearl dust, and fondant roses, gumpaste flowers, bows, the works in different colors of course. Do this at $2.00 a slice and she'll rethink her $2.00 a slice in a heartbeat. For your accounting you can make it Tax deductible - Research. Give them to a local charity or old folks home, as a write off under your regular pricing. Bam! You just made money off her.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 22

I know that people have strong feeling about this, but in this case this is not a girl who's flying under that radar. She is deliberately trying to sabotage your business.

In this particular case I would turn her in to the HD. I'd consider it protecting your investment.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Heck $2.00 a slice for any detail? Order 5+ small cakes with really elaborate detail. Each one a different color theme, lavendar & lemon, sage & blush, etc....with pearl dust, and fondant roses, gumpaste flowers, bows, the works in different colors of course. Do this at $2.00 a slice and she'll rethink her $2.00 a slice in a heartbeat. For your accounting you can make it Tax deductible - Research. Give them to a local charity or old folks home, as a write off under your regular pricing. Bam! You just made money off her.

That's hilarious!

Turn her in, she's asking for it.

cammyblake1 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 22

I think so too. I got a message last night suggesting I read some letter about acceptable behavior. Was this post out of line or something? I thought that promoting bonafide businesses in communities everywhere was acceptable behavior, and protecting one's hard earned assets were the norm.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 22

Unless it was a message from a moderator, ignore it.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 22

I don't sell my cakes. But I feel your pain. I would probably wait and see what happens and then if she continues I'll report. What I would do now is report her to PBC. I also don't think she'll last.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 22

If she is using pictures from Pink Cake Box to promote her own business, you should email Anne Heap (the owner) with her info and let her know. Anne is a sweetheart (I did my internship @ PCB) and is pretty liberal with people using her photos for personal use, but would NOT want someone using them to promote their business or be represented as their work. I would let PCB know ASAP.

cammyblake1 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:38pm
post #16 of 22

It was from a moderator, and nothing else was said. I asked her what she meant and I haven't heard back. And Pink, I just did exactly that. Thanks!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:26am
post #17 of 22

Unless you edited your posts, I see little problem with this thread.
You had a problem and asked our opinion.

I think the point that her customers aren't your customers is valid.
I wouldn't bother to report her, just toss the flyer in a drawer in case you might want to refer to it later.

cammyblake1 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #18 of 22

Nope, didn't change anything, that's what was confusing. Thanks!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #19 of 22

I'd report her. Mess with me directly, you get the sharp end of the spatula (so to speak). I'm all for peacefully coexisting, but don't try to sabotage me. I'm vindictive that way. : )

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:23pm
post #20 of 22

I am sure the pm had to do with discussing someone using anothers photos - that is a touchy subject and occasionally the people involved are members here - so they prefer that you just don't discuss it openly on CC.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #21 of 22

Oh, I'd turn her in in a heartbeat. It's one thing to fly under the radar, and a whole 'nother ball game to mess with me.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #22 of 22

Oh yeah... That makes sense.
Stolen pictures is one of the 'hot buttons' around here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%