Crumbling Gumpaste - Need Advice

Baking By LBenson123 Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 2:46am by LBenson123

LBenson123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LBenson123 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #1 of 4

Please Help!!!
I tried a new gumpaste recipe by Jaynie Maxfield from her book "Cake Decorating for the first time." I've tried it twice and each time the gumpaste feels like other gumpaste I've used but after rolling it crumbles as I try to move from rolling mat or even when I try to use balling/veining tool. Any advice on how to stop this from happening. I listed the recipe below so you could see exactly what I have in it. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Here's the recipe that I used:
1 package of gelatin
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 pound powdered sugar

Supposed to stir water and gelatin in saucepan and allow mixture to "bloom" for 3 minutes. Stir in corn syrup. while continuing to heat and stir until all gelatin is dissolved. alternate mixing powdered sugar and gelatin mixture in stand mixer until stiff. Keep in airtight container.

3 replies
bakingshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingshell Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 4

Ok so i know what recipe and book you have. I have used it as well!
For the crumbly part you most likely only used one little package of the knox gelatin. if you did you need to use all four little packages which is one package as stated in the recipe in the book. once you do that you should be able to get a great result. Hope that helps.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:43am
post #3 of 4

Try kneading in some glycerin and tylose. The glycerin will add pliability. The tylose will add strength and stretch. Use small amounts until the gumpaste feels like silly putty.

You might want to consider using Nick Lodge's recipe. It's on his site, it can be colored easily and frozen. When I make it I only make a half batch and it still makes a good amount.

HTH

Michele

LBenson123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LBenson123 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 4

I appreciate the help and suggestions. I knew I could find support here!!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%