Look Of Granite?

Decorating By kcassano Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm by ibmoser

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have a curling cake to do (you know, that wierd olympic sport where they push a big rock on the ice). the "curling stone" as it is called is actually made out of granite - typically medium in grey color, and shiny. any ideas as to how to get the look of granite with fondant. I know I can paint it w/vodka (and steam it) to make it shiny...it's the look of the granite part I'm stumped on. any ideas would be most appreciated.

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 5
kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 5

awesome...thanks for the link! do you think it'd be safe to brush with vodka after it dried? I think that might not work. maybe just the good old steam method instead. i wanted it REALLY shiny though.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure if you can brush over it with vodka after dry. I'd try a little on a piece and see. I'm not sure the colors would stay in place with a wet brush going over them.

Rubbing fondant with crisco can make it shiny too, but again I don't know what it would do to the blend of colors.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 5

You can always spray painted fondant with edible lacquer for gloss

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=lacquer&searchimage.x=52&searchimage.y=2

Granite has sparklies all through it, too - maybe add some luster dusts mixed with alcohol to the mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%