Freezing Cookies

Baking By graceashley8 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm by graceashley8

graceashley8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graceashley8 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 4

I have made some sugar cookies and I am going to roll the dough out and cut out the figures because I have to make a 100 but they are not going out for about a week and a half...
Can I freeze the cut outs, then bring then out to decorate them?
Once I bring them out, and want to decorate how long should I let them thaw?
If I can freeze then, what should I put them in so they do not get freezer burnt?!icon_smile.gif

Thank you!icon_smile.gif

3 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 4

I freeze my cookies all the time. I put them in air tight containers. Then I let them thaw on my counter. I decorate with no problem.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 4

Yes you can freeze. I bake a month ahead of time.

I store mine in plastic containers. They stack nicely in freezer. I also put wax paper in between cookies prevents them from sticking together. Just thaw out on the counter.

Remember to keep a box of baking soda in the freezer to absorb other food odors.

here is some information you can keep on file:

Freezing Baked Cookies and Bars

To freeze baked cookies, cool cookies completely, then wrap individual cookies tightly in plastic wrap. Place in freezer-style re-sealable plastic bag or airtight container. Freeze up to 1 month. When ready to serve, thaw at room temperature.

To freeze brownies or bar cookies, cool brownies or bar cookies completely, but do not cut into individual servings. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then wrap again with foil. Freeze up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw at room temperature before cutting into individual servings.

Chocolate-topped brownies or bar cookies should be frozen before topping. Follow directions for freezing brownies. After thawing, spread melted chocolate over the top of the brownies or bar cookies and cut into individual servings.

Freezing Cookie Dough
Cookie dough can be frozen up to 6 weeks using these methods:

For slice-and-bake refrigerator cookies, shape dough into logs, then double wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze until ready to use, then just thaw, slice and bake as directed in recipe.

For drop or shaped cookies, shape cookie dough into balls (or other shapes as directed in your recipe) then place on parchment paper or wax paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until dough is completely frozen. Transfer dough from tray to freezer-style re-sealable plastic bag; freeze until ready to use. When ready to bake; thaw frozen dough on baking sheets then bake as directed in recipe.

For cut-out cookies, pat dough into a disk and double wrap in plastic wrap. Place dough in freezer-style re-sealable plastic bag. When ready to use, thaw dough, roll out, cut into shapes and bake as directed in recipe.

graceashley8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graceashley8 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for this!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%