Fondant Bow Tie

Decorating By summersusu Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm by MissyTex

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 3

I wanted to make the following cake and was wondering if anyone could help me on how to make the bow ties like this one. I pm the creator but they are a newbie so I am not sure how often that person checks messages. Also, any help with the triangles and cutting them to size with the dementions of a 10 round and 8 round would be great!
Thanks
LL

2 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 3

people make them several different, if you go to u-tube, there are a lot of videos, you just won't have to the loop, you can roll your fondant, cut to length and width, and take the middle an kind of pleat it then cut a narrow strip and wrap around the middle, or you can cut in half and take the two end and form a pleat, kind of hard to explain, you can use fondant or gum paste/fondant mix, if this doesn't help lol u-tube will show you the pleat

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 3

As mentioned above, those bow ties look like they are just pleated rectangles. Play around with it and you'll get it.

You may get some better answers from more experienced decorators, but....I would make a paper template for the triangles on the top tier. I use parchment paper. Measure the circumference of your iced cake. Cut your paper that length by whatever width you want, those triangles look like they go halfway up the cake, so maybe 2" high. Fold your strip in half and then in half again, and again. You will end up with a strip with 8 even sections. Cut your triangle using one of the sections and use it as a template to cut your fondant triangles. You will have even triangles that fit perfectly around your cake.

I dont have experience with the diamonds, but Im sure you can use the same technique to make a template.
Good luck, have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%