What Is Wrong With People?! (Vent)

Decorating By lindseyelaine Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 3:28am by JulieMN

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm
post #61 of 76

I agree with the others, run as fast as you can! You can guarantee she'll try to get a refund after the wedding.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #62 of 76

don't do it, please don't do it. All she is doing is taking advantage of you. I had a bride that went up on the servings of cake. As the servings went up,my price went up. She said,"it s just cake". My say " it is more to decorate and she came off the money. You don't need to do a free grooms cake nor a bigger cake at that price. You should be charging more. Then she had the nerve to tell you that her mil told her to not pay you untill after the cake is done and delivered is a red flag. Next thing you will be chasing them down for your money, or they will find fault with it so they won['t have to pay. Again,please don't do it.

Nytepyre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nytepyre Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #63 of 76

At my real job I had a client today in the same sort of situation. No attention to deadlines, or fee schedules, and then she pops in and tries to pay 4 weeks late with no penalty, stating she'd never heard from us. Her type are a dime a dozen. I would encourage her to book another baker. See if she can get someone to take payment upon delivery!!!

lindseyelaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyelaine Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #64 of 76

Chasey, that was only part of the e-mail. The other half read that while I appreciated her giving me a try, she was obviously not comfortable with my policies and suggested that she find another baker and wished her well.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyelaine

Chasey, that was only part of the e-mail. The other half read that while I appreciated her giving me a try, she was obviously not comfortable with my policies and suggested that she find another baker and wished her well.

Well you certainly spelled it out for her and she's just ignoring that! Part of her must realize that it's going to be REALLY hard to get someone to agree to her timeline and budget after you've enlightened her. So she's going to play along and do what you asked.

Since you've already decided you are definitely not doing her cake, it's best to give her a simple line about her not understanding that you said you will no longer be able to make her cake...no matter what...and wish her well.

I think she needs to see that in black and white to stop emailing you and go find someone else to nickel and dime in time for her wedding.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #66 of 76

Good for you. What a waste of your time and energy, eh?

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #67 of 76

Sagebrush for president!!!! hA HA HA HAHHHHHHH!!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #68 of 76

Man I feel for you.
I had a client like that today as well. I quoted her a 3D cake made with buttercream weeks ago. She came back saying she wanted the same 3D cake but in fondant and still wants to pay the same buttercream price. I replied to her with the previous email about the buttercream price attached and told her that price was for a buttercream version it will be more for a fondant version. She said she still wants the cake but can't understand why a cake to feed so little people would cost so much.
I feel like telling her you don't just pay for the water when you buy an ice sculpture.
Good luck, wish me luck too!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggysmack

I feel like telling her you don't just pay for the water when you buy an ice sculpture.
Good luck, wish me luck too!

Yesssss! Good one!! and good luck. icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #70 of 76

this bride reminds me a lot of my brothers growing up. They'd misbehave and be warned of consequences and when it came time for those consequences to be handed down they'd plead and protest, "but I'll be good! I won't do it again." They still needed their butts' whooped. LOL

So now that you've said I can't help you, she's ready to straighten up and do things the right way. I'm sorry, but you'd have to be living under a rock to not know that you have to pay for the balance of something before it is delivered. You are not financing your wedding cake except through your credit card company if that's your choice. Every vendor that is involved with weddings and party planning require a deposit to secure the date and the balance is payable a some point BEFORE the event.

Not many places do anything COD anymore, so why should you be out all the expense for her wedding cake and then have to chase someone down for payment at the time of delivery?

lindseyelaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyelaine Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #71 of 76

This is Hilarious.

The crazy bride e-mailed me today. This is what she said:

I'm sorry Lindsey,
I just felt like maybe I'm throwing this at you too fast, and you dont feel I'm paying enough, which I totally understand. I just can't feel good about not having a tasting, and not really knowing you and just handing you the full amount. I understand there is a contract, but every other baker I have talked to about ordering has asked for 1/2 then, and 1/2 at delivery, plus if its not there I can go to a bakery and find that person. I wish you the best of luck, and I'm sorry we couldnt make a deal work for both of us.

and this is how I replied:

I am so glad to hear you feel the same as I do about us trying to work together. I could tell you were as uncomfortable with my policies as I was with your lack of prompt communication. I was not sure how to proceed working with you as none of my other brides have had any issues with my payment policies or returning my emails in a timely manner. Just as you said you would be able to go to the bakery to find someone if nothing is delivered, the bakery can try to somehow resell your cake if your wedding doesnt happen or you dont pay the remaining ½ due. I, however, do not have a store front with brides coming in on their wedding day to pick out a cake on the off-chance someone didnt pick their cake up, so I would have to eat (no pun intended) the remaining cost of the cake if you didnt follow through. Because I was offering a significant discount to you this was just more risk than I (or most other bakers) would be willing to take on.

I wish you the best on your wedding!

I feel much better icon_biggrin.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:31pm
post #72 of 76

good for you! I'd have a hard time restraining myself from slapping that stupid girl!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #73 of 76

i am so glad that you got out of that situation.

Nytepyre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nytepyre Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:29am
post #74 of 76

So glad you're free and clear! You responded with professionalism, a firm hand, and class! Kudos!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #75 of 76

Good for you for not letting her act like SHE cut YOU loose. She was trying to make it sound that way. Yah, I'd have been ready to choke her. Ugh.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:28am
post #76 of 76

Nicely done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%