5 Things You Can Do With...

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #31 of 48

I bought some more cabbage this week at the store so I'm going to try some of these different ideas for it. Last time I had it already cut up, but this time I can shread some of it too. icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:42pm
post #32 of 48

My husband laughs at me because I chop up cabbage and eat it raw like its popcorn or something! LOL

TexasSugar Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #33 of 48

I can do it raw like in coleslaw but I need something to soften it a little. I like cabbage though, and saurkruat. icon_smile.gif

I'm going to try your pan 'fried' version this week some time.

And I'm really having fun with the egg roll wrappers. I've used them for lasagna twice now. As well as for chips, loved that suggestion. Last night I made stirfry and instead of rice to go with it I cut the wrappers into small strips and crisped them in a skillet with some pam. Yummy! I just really like the flavor of them.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:34am
post #34 of 48

Stir fry your chopped cabbage with a little Pam. I use my biggest skillet, put it on the heat to get the skillet hot. Take off the heat and spray with the Pam to lightly coat the bottom of the skillet. Pile in my cabbage, spray it with Pam, toss and keep stirring until the cabbage starts to wilt. I lightly season with McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasonings (A tip I learned from Racheal Ray - to use steak seasoning on everything.) I love cabbage and like it when it is still lightly crispy.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:14pm
post #35 of 48

Oh this sounds yummy too!! icon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:52am
post #36 of 48

I sometimes use spaghetti sauce for making chili - it's fast and the chili powder covers up any spaghetti sauce flavoricon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #37 of 48

Okay so I tired the stir fried or sautéed cabbage, yum-o! Very good! Will definetly be doing that again.

I also did a variation of the cabbage soup that was posted earlier. I ended up using a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato juice in place of the tomato soup since I didn't have it on hand, and the skettie sauce is currently in the freezer. It was a very yummy soup though!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm
post #38 of 48

You know, I just realized something the other day when I was at the grocery store. I was looking at the heads of cabbage (which didn't look that great) and I was planning on making cabbage roll casserole.......so it hit me...........USE coleslaw mix. Went down to it and would you believe it........they had it reduced to $.10/bag. I bought 5 bags and went home and made the casserolle with 2 1/2 bags and used the rest for a veggie stir fry. It was SO quick. I'm not sure I"ll EVER shred my own cabbage again lol

TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #39 of 48

That's a great deal. I always try to find small heads of cabbage myself. I do still like it boiled but I am getting to be a fan of the sauteed as well.

And I know that the soup is on my to make again list that is for sure.

I still want to make the veggie eggrolls as well.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #40 of 48

Seems like everyone has it covered! But, just an idea since you said "yum-o", Rachel Ray made some smashed potato style cauliflower a bunch of months ago. She used chicken stock I think to add more flavor. You could probably search it on Food Network.com....or recipe's with any of your favorite ingredients.

Another sort of "lower fat" option - I say "sort of" because it has sausage in it. My mom cannot eat red meat. It just doesn't like her. But, when you make meat balls use the ground turkey and a just a portion of a sausage link. It'll add flavor and a tiny bit of fat so the meat balls end up tender.

Cooking for just yourself, you could use english muffins, frozen pizza shells, or frozen dough as a way to just take out what you need for pizza. Of course you could use the low fat mozzarella. But, you could also just use parmasean. Not sure how popular that kind of pizza is else where, but we have a pizza joint here that's their signature seller. It's called Briar Hill. It's got green peppers on it too.

If you like meatloaf, you could make mini's in a mini loaf pan. Rachel Ray did this one time & it sounded so good because you get all the good crunchy parts every time you eat it. I have a sort of cookie sheet that has 8 mini loaf holes. I normally bake mini hummingbird breads.

My mom makes a pan fry type dish with sliced cabbage, onions,salt, pepper and noodles. She's heavy on the butter, but you could lighten it up. On of my Dad's favorites.

Oh - another thing I love when I just cook for myself is salsa. I like it on a baked potato and my scrambled eggs...of course tacos too. It has everything in it for serious flavor with no waste or prep time. You probably have access to some seriously fab salsa in Texas.

On the spag sauce tip - I have never made it for myself but my mom and grandma used to always make hamburgers and red sauce. Basically sautee some sliced peppers, fry some burgers, add sauce and simmer. Serve with mashed pot. Very low budget but, you could add what ever you wanted to change it up.

Congrats on your weight loss! Keep at it!

TexasSugar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:29pm
post #41 of 48

EvMarie, than you for your suggestions. I have all kinds of new things to try now.

So here is another question for all of ya'll. Normally when I buy red meat I just get ground beef since it is pretty versital, but sometimes that gets old. I'm making a trip to the grocery store this weekend and was thinking about picking up a roast and cooking it in a crock pot.

Anyone have any good ideas for using up roast, perferable with out gravy, but I'll take any ideas out there. icon_smile.gif I just something different from ground turkey, ground beef and chicken breasts this week.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #42 of 48

Let's go back to the cabbage. Does your family make the fried cabbage and noodles? A little cabbage, some chopped onion, salt & pepper to taste, fried until the cabbage and onions are clear, then mix in some wide noodles. It's a staple of Eastern European cooking, but my family knows it as halushki.
Stuffed cabbage is usually made with ground meat and rice, but my grandmother used to make it with either buckwheat or barley, too.

As for spaghetti sauce, add a little more oregano and basil and use it on a pita or boboli with mozzarella for a quick and easy homemade pizza.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:36am
post #43 of 48

Quiznos has a salad with roast beef that I duplicate at home. Your usual salad fixings, roast beef w/bbq sauce on it, a sprinkling of shredded cheddar, and low fat ranch dressing. Nuke the beef and cheese first to melt the cheese.

I saw you bought Alfredo sauce. I make a lower calorie pizza with Alfredo as the sauce, fresh spinach (tastes nothing like the canned stuff, thank goodness!), and a sprinkle of shredded swiss/provolone/whatever cheese you like. If I have leftover chicken breast, I toss that on. Olives, tomatoes, onion, or whatever veggie is at hand works on it, too.

Not mentioned, but those higher calorie meals in your freezer can be used up by serving yourself half the usual amount and eating lots of veggies on the side. You still get to eat stuff you're craving, your freezer slowly gets cleaned out, and you don't have to fuss with the guilt of eating too many calories.

Rice cakes or WASA fiber crackers instead of bread for chicken or tuna salad sandwiches. Yeah, I wouldn't eat them naked, but topped they are good. Eat them while drinking a glass of water and they poof up in the stomach and make you feel fuller.

Mini-chocolate rice cakes topped with a slice of strawberry and a dab of sugar-free Cool Whip makes a good dessert when you just have to have something or go bonkers.

Man, I'm so off topic. Yeah, I'm back on the "I eat too much" bandwagon, too. I'll stop nattering now. LOL

TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #44 of 48

Playingwithsugar, I must have missed your post before. I am going to try the cabbage with the onion. It sounds good. When we make saurkraut from the can we rinse it then cook it with onion and mushrooms, oh so good!

I'm going to wait for the stuffed cabbage. My uncle grows a garden and when the cabbage comes in he sends heads of cabbage to my mom and she sits down and makes about four or five 13x9 pans full of cabbage rolls. She will then pass them out to everyone. icon_smile.gif

The only canned veggies I have used lately are corn and some beans. Everything else I use fresh or frozen. I love spinach, can eat it raw in salad. I also love spinach in my omelet. I'll have to make a little pizza using it and the alfredo. I bought some more egg roll wrappers so I can always use that for my 'crust'.

I've been buying a bread that is 45 calories per slice, which is good. So eating tuna or chicken salad with bread doesn't bother me. Plus I need the grains and fiber in my diet as well.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Ya'll are awesome!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #45 of 48

Interesting post.
TexasSugar - what is the brand name of the 45 calorie per slice bread that you use? Hopefully it's not a regional band.

Thanks

TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #46 of 48

I want to say it is Sara Lee but I'll look at it when I go home to get lunch. It comes in wheat, multi grain and something else. At Walmart it is on the top shelf.

My parents use it as well, and I have my brother eating it too. We really like it. It also stays fresh/soft for a long time. We have eaten it many of times after the date on it and it is still as fresh as when we bought it.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:29pm
post #47 of 48

Texas Sugar - Thanks I would appreciate that. I am looking for a low calorie bread that at least has some flavor and hopefully is not loaded wtih sodium.

Thanks

TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm
post #48 of 48

Okay I went and looked. It is Sara Lee. The label says 45 Calories and Delightful. The one I have is 100% multi grain and the numbers off the back are:

45 calories per slice
.5 g of fat
80mg sodium
9g carbs
-2g fiber
-less than 1g sugar
3g protien

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%