Illinois Licensing And Insurance Questions

Business By in2cakes2 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm by in2cakes2

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #1 of 4

Hi all, is there anyone from Illinois that would be willing to tell me where they get their business insurance and some licensing questions? I seem to be getting the run-a-round from the county and the village. Thanks so much for any info!

3 replies
in2cakes2 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone please. I know fridays are busy, sorry.

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:10am
post #3 of 4

I can at least help with the insurance question. I get my insurance from The Hartford. Very reasonable annual rate. I don't have the exact amount handy right now, but somewhere around $350 per year.

The licensing thing is a whole other matter. I got the same runaround from the City of Chicago. I don't know whether you are opening a retail location or planning to operate a home based business (renting commercial space). That will factor into the equation. I can tell you that, if you are planning to operate a home based business, you will likely find that the city doesn't seem to know how to handle those licensing questions very well.

Good luck to you!!

in2cakes2 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Queenbee1! I am renting space from a small breakfast/lunch restaurant and I live in a different county from where the restaurant is so I am kinda confused. The lady I am renting from has been there forever it seems and is trying to help me through the steps but I don't think she really undrstands. I asked her where she gets her insurance and she said she just uses the insurance that came with her license. I told her that most of the people on here recommend at least 1 mil and she giggled and said she never heard of that, though the next day she called me and said she asked around and was shocked that I was right and she needed it too.
I know I need to get a business license, take the food safety and sanitation class, and get insurance but there seems to me I remember someone on here saying there was something more. Sorry this is so long!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%