Cake Balls Coating???

Baking By BannanaBrie Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 4:19am by judyz

BannanaBrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BannanaBrie Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:42am
post #1 of 9

I'm about to make some cake balls for the second time. The first time I made them I used melted chocolate chips to coat them and stuck them in the fridge and they turned out great. The only thing was that when I was coating them the chocolate was a little too thick and kinda hard to work with towards the end. I remember reading on here that if you're using chocolate chips you should thin it out first, but I cant remember what it said to use. I tried looking it up in the search function but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I think it was either oil or corn syrup...any help is greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:48am
post #2 of 9

my first attempt at cakeballs my choc was thick so i was told to use paramount crystals to thin it out and it def did the trick

i also melt my chocolate in smaller batches so my choc doesnt seize and i do about 6 or 8 cake balls at a time

goodluck!

BannanaBrie Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 9

Hmm, never heard of it. Thanks, I'll go look it up. But I'm looking for something that I might have at home...

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:53am
post #4 of 9

Have you tried using Almond Bark? I haven't tried it myself, but just a thought.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #5 of 9

hi. you can add a little crisco to the chocolate to thin it................

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #6 of 9

I use corn syrup, just a tad bit at a time until the concistency feels right. I too work in small batches, and add chocolate as needed.

BannanaBrie Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:43am
post #7 of 9

Thanks guys! Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #8 of 9

thanks guys! i was having the same problem!

judyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyz Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #9 of 9

If you don't have Paramount crystals on hand, you can use Gulf Wax (paraffin like our grandmothers used to can jelly, etc. with). Just shave a few pieces off with a veggie peeler. This will give your chocolate chips enough wax to set up correctly on your cake balls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%