Running A Bake Sale And Having The Teens Bake...help!!!

Baking By Mel2085 Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm by windycitybaker

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 12

I am helping my husband by running a bake sale for their high school ski club. The plan is to have the kids help me bake. I want to do 3 kinds of cookies and all I can think of doing is Chocolate Chip cookies. I want some simple cookies to make because I have a group of 20 teens and 3/4 of them are freshman.....so I really need simple and easy!!!

Any suggestions???

11 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 12

snicker doodles? jam thumbprints? chocolate chocolate chip cookies? they could probably have a lot of fun with chocolate covered pretzel rods, too.

I know this isnt' the topic of your post, but ....whenever I do baked things for schools I stay completely away from any kind of nuts, nut extracts of peanuts because of allergy issues.

have fun!

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 12

Peanut Butter cookies are always good. A group of highschool "should" be able to handle those. icon_wink.gif

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 12

bonniebakes- good point on the nut allergy, I didn't even think of that when I suggested peanut butter cookies. duh to me!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 12

soft sugar cookies, oatmeal raisin, and I would have said peanut butter icon_smile.gif

Another suggestion for you is to buy a few boxes of brownie mixes and make those (super easy for freshman to do). You can either bake them in a foil 8x8 pan and sell it that way or cut them into bars and sell them individually. You can even jazz them up a bit by putting the mini baking M&M's on them before baking.

Have fun baking with 20 kids!! icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 12

I think you and the kids will have a great time. Lots of people underestimate teenagers and their capacity for maturity.
I'm a high school teacher and I would say that if you treat them like adults and really emphasise that "this is how I do it in my business" then they'll probably feel really important and grown up and rise to the challenge.
Perhaps set it up as a production line so each kids has thier 1 job to focus on.
Don't be worried! Have fun!

arbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arbakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 12

I just made some for a bake sale last night and had 10-year-olds helping...it went well! icon_smile.gif We made chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies. The sale is not until tonight, so hopefully all goes well icon_razz.gif Best of luck!

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 12

I already thought about the nut allergy!!

The only thing I am worried about is....my job is watching small children...like under the age of 5....so High school kids are VERY out of my element! Thankfully my husband will be there to help corral the kids! I did work with a middle school youth group so I am a little jaded when it comes to kids....I am used to middle school kids who to me....are a little subhuman!

I was shying away from snicker doodles because mine aren't soft.....maybe I can find a good recipe that is soft!!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 12

You could make something like these.

Chunky Chocolate Cookies

1 package Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Baking Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 ºF.

2. Place cake mix, eggs, butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large bowl. Stir with spoon until thoroughly blended. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Drop by level measuring tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. (or use parchment paper)

3. Bake at 350 ºF for 12 minutes for chewy cookies (cookies will still be puffed) or 14 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove to cooling racks. Cool completely. Store in airtight container.

Makes 3 1/2 to 4 dozen cookies.
You could definitely avoid the nuts in these also!

*Any Chocolate cake mix will do! These make great monster type cookies when you use an ice cream scoop!

Good luck, hope you have a great sale!

Rose(cookiemookie)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #10 of 12

Buckeyes, of course! icon_smile.gif

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 12

Snikerdoodles

1 box white cake mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. spray cookie sheets with non-stick spray (or use parchment paper)
Mix cake mix, oil, eggs, & nutmeg until just blended and all dry ingredients are moistened.

Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish or bowl. Form dough into 1-inch balls, roll in cinnamon sugarr. Plaec 2 inches apart on prepaired cookie sheets. Bake 10 -12 minutes until set at edges and just barely set at center. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets then transfer to racks to cool

Also, any refrigerator cookie recipe would be good. If you mix ahead of time, the kids can just slice and bake.

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

I think you and the kids will have a great time. Lots of people underestimate teenagers and their capacity for maturity.
I'm a high school teacher and I would say that if you treat them like adults and really emphasise that "this is how I do it in my business" then they'll probably feel really important and grown up and rise to the challenge.
Perhaps set it up as a production line so each kids has thier 1 job to focus on.
Don't be worried! Have fun!

I have two high school-aged daughters (freshman and jr) - I completely agree with this advice. They and their friends (including the guys) are really like adults in many (but not all!) respects.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%