A Few Questions About A Wedding Cake Customer Is Requesting

Decorating By jenny2476 Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 1:09pm by jenny2476

jenny2476 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny2476 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 4

A few questions, as I'm a little newer to all of this.

A customer sent me the picture below and asked for the cheapest quote I can give her. I generally use a "per serving" pricing guide, but had a few questions for you.

She wants this cake in 16, 14, 10, 8 and 4 inch squares. I get approximately 268 servings from this.

Now I normally do 2 layers, but this cake looks to be taller and I'd have to do another layer on each tier. Do you charge extra for this...as that would be 5 more cakes I'm baking?

Would you charge for placing all those flowers on the cake? She wants a quote for real and silk. Personally I'm nervous of trying to do that many REAL flowers, without having them touching the cake somewhere.

Normally I don't charge extra for stacking/setting up at the location, but with that many flowers to put on, I could be there a long time. Would you charge?

What, in your area, would you charge for this cake?

I generally don't get a call for such large cakes with this many flowers, so that's why all the questions. Seems most of the brides around here go for very simple, smaller cakes.

Thanks!!!
LL

3 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 4

Yes you charge for more cake--yes you charge for putting all the flowers on---the florals are the brides responsibility to purchase. It can be done by putting floral foam squares in between the tiers and putting the flowers into that (real or silk).

Beautiful cake--sounds like she is wanting a mercedes on a ford budget

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 4

You do know that the cake in the picture is very symmetrical and the sizes she's given you are not symmetrical, so her cake won't look exactly like the picture.

Yes if you add essentially a third more cake, then you charge 1/3 more.

I have a delivery fee and that covers the time at the venue putting things together and transportation.

The bride furnishes the flowers, so there shouldn't be a difference in your fee to place the flowers.

I also charge an equipment fee to cover the SPS used in construction.

jenny2476 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny2476 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the info ladies!

Yes, I know her sizes aren't the same as the picture...but that is what she asked for. She also asked ME to provide flowers (if I do this cake) and I do work with a florist, so it's an option.

I completely didn't think of using the foam in between for the flowers...makes total sense and will help with the height.

As I said, usually around here I get orders for 3 tier cakes that are very clean and simple (is what's IN at the moment here) and I basically just stack and leave really, so this cake is a little different for me.

But yes, I too am getting the impression that she wants a Mercedes on a Ford budget. She won't tell me the budget, just wants a price, so I will just have to give her that info and let her decide.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%