Help, How Do I Save This Frosting?

Baking By JanessaJo Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm by TexasSugar

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 9

I made frosting using the ricks special buttercreme recipe, instead of using 1 cup butter and 1 cup shortening, i made it 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/2 cup shortening, the vanilla extract, whipping cream, and around 8 cups of powdered sugar......\\

....but its not very sweet, and tastes very powdery, what can I do to save this frosting??

thanks! =)

8 replies
JanessaJo Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:31am
post #2 of 9

thumbsdown.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 9

Having never used this recipe before I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like.

If it's not sweet enough add more ps and mix it on low for a little longer so that the fat absorbs the sugar thoroughly.

Did you use hi-ratio or regular shortening?

JanessaJo Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #4 of 9

regular crisco (sorry i dont know what high ratio means)

i dont really know how its supposed to taste either, lol, only my second time making it. last time i used half crisco half butter, this time i used more crisco. it just taste very powdery and not very sweet.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 9

i don't know but i'd try and add 1/2 cup of butter, i just made for the first time the snow white bc. i don't know what happened but it came out so sticky, i rechecked the recipe. i asked and they said to add a little water at a time, i did but it looks shiny and like jiffy icing. it does crust lol, don't feel bad one box cake called for 1/2 oil and i put in 1 1/2 pancake anyone. definately sp try to save it. mine's a loss. so i'll give you a bump

happy2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy2bake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:46am
post #6 of 9

I think I would add another 1/2 C. shortening and more powdered sugar until the consistency is right. I usually try to use equal amounts of butter and shortening. It has always worked for me. Anyway I hope you can save it.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #7 of 9

I'm not sure what you mean by "powdery" taste. Are you sure you got your flavorings in? Butter does lend a lot of flavor, perhaps the off flavor is due to less butter being put in--it will make a big difference.

happy2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy2bake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:25am
post #8 of 9

I think I would add another 1/2 C. shortening and more powdered sugar until the consistency is right. I usually try to use equal amounts of butter and shortening. It has always worked for me. Anyway I hope you can save it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 9

It sounds alot like a 'standard' buttercream ratio. 2 cups fat to 2lbs powder sugar with flavors and liquid.

I use all crisco and like the flavor combination of vanilla and butter extracts in the icing. I use to add almond extract as well, buy my mom thought it made it too sweet with it in so I left it out. You could always try mixing in a little of it?

I'm not sure what you mean by powdery either. And the sweetness, usually these buttercream recipes are the ones that people complain about them being too sweet. I don't know how else to sweeten it up with out adding more sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%