Dh Is No Longer Allowed In My Kitchen

Decorating By ShanB Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 2:09pm by ShanB

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 32

I know he was just trying to help but I had a bunch of things going at once. I was making a cake for family day and cooking dinner at the same time. DH went to stir dinner and flung raw ground beef out of the fry pan into the cake batter

yummy.....

we had a frozen pie for dessert instead icon_smile.gif

31 replies
herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 32

LOL!!! I completely know what you mean! My DH does the same thing..... and I know he is just trying to help, but sometimes I just get so aggravated and I am saying to myself "MOVE. There are too many hands fumbling all over the place in here!"
His heart is in the right place though icon_lol.gif

DH's..... gotta love 'em.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 32

Awwww C'mon what's a lil Ecoli between family members LOLOL

You could've played "who gets the surprise piece of cake" LOLOL

Mike

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanB

I know he was just trying to help but I had a bunch of things going at once. I was making a cake for family day and cooking dinner at the same time. DH went to stir dinner and flung raw ground beef out of the fry pan into the cake batter

yummy.....

we had a frozen pie for dessert instead icon_smile.gif

I think your husband and mine learned to cook at the same place. What it is with some men? They need to have the kitchen tarped prior to cooking? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 32

that is funny and sad at the same time. DH's can be a real PIA sometimes, but we have to give him credit, he was helping icon_smile.gif Most can't say that icon_smile.gif I say put a baby gate up and keep him out icon_smile.gif HUGS!

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

I say put a baby gate up and keep him out icon_smile.gif HUGS!

Thats funny! We "had" 2 baby gates blocking the kitchen entrances from our boys and my DH HATED it! He kept tripping over it and knocking it down until one day he cracked it. We had to throw it out.

Hmmmm...... the baby gate may not be a bad idea. icon_wink.gif

allthehobbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allthehobbies Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 32

My BF knows that if I'm in the kitchen, he's not allowed in. We have a small kitchen, so it gets crowded very fast, plus he would probably do something like you said, with the beef in the cake batter. Also, I really hate when people watch me when I'm working. It makes me anxious and I end up making mistakes. So now, if he even stands at the edge of the kitchen, all I have to do is put down my icing bag or whatever I'm working on and look at him, and he'll say "Oh, that's ridiculous" and walk away! icon_biggrin.gif

ShanB Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Awwww C'mon what's a lil Ecoli between family members LOLOL

You could've played "who gets the surprise piece of cake" LOLOL

Mike

with my luck?? no way I'd risk it

DH actually said" just leave it, it will cook with the cake right?"

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 32

Lol, I could so see my hubby doing that. He's actually great at eating cake scraps before I'm done with them, or, bless his heart, trying to help me clean up by putting tools I'm still using in the sink. They do mean well.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanB

DH actually said" just leave it, it will cook with the cake right?"

Ewww!

Makes me so glad that my hubby is as good of a cook as I am (well, better when it comes to "his" things like homemade pork bbq, ribs, jerky, steak, burgers...lol he's a "meat man"). icon_lol.gif

We really enjoy cooking together. We make a great team. Lots of times one of us will take the lead and the other will play sous chef. We've become really attuned to each other and can move around each other in our galley kitchen with hot food and sharp knives with ease. icon_biggrin.gif

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 32

That's funny! My DH decides he wants to cook dinner on the nights that I am most busy with cakes and have stuff everywhere! Our kitchen isn't super tiny, but when you have cake stuff everyone, it's not big enuff to cook in as well. I try to make those nights take-out or delivery, but I'm not always fast enuff.

I know they mean well, but you would think they would learn...*sigh*

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 32

Everyone in my house knows the kitchen is off limits if I am decorating. Not so bad if i'm just baking. But I do have to share this story with everyone....

About 6 months ago I was working on a 3-D monkey and was trying to ice the head. Not knowing then (i have since learned), I attempted to go ahead and "ice" the cake...not do a dirty ice and chill first. Everytime I put the icing on....with the next swipe of the spatula I would peel it off. icon_mad.gif By this time it is about 1am and I sound like cartoon characters trying to cuss, grumbling with each breath. icon_cry.gif (I had been working on this cake off and on for about 8 hours.) My husband gets up off the couch, enters the forbidden domain of the kitchen, takes the spatula out of my hand and kicks me out of my own kitchen....sends me outside to cool off. icon_surprised.gif
Now...I wasn't sure at the time that it was the right thing to do but it was either vacate the kitchen or toss that #@&$ monkey out the backdoor. I went for a walk in the yard and returned to find he had completely iced the head of the monkey and had started on the body. I couldn't help but laugh and give him a big 'ol hug!
I can now add "dirty icer" to the already long list of other "specialties" that he can do.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 32

Christy that's awesome! You have a keeper there! icon_biggrin.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 32

DH knows I have a 20 ft work radius. I usually don't even allow him to be home, much less be in the kitchen LOL!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #15 of 32

Christy, that's awesome. I've had DH step in and roll out fondant for me when I was pregnant and getting BH contractions from the exertion. A lifesaver and he's actually pretty good at it.

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 32

Thanks for reminding me about the fondant, FullHouse! I had forgotten about it! He's always there to lend a hand...or 2 strong arms when it comes to rolling out large pieces. He watches the Cake Challenges and other shows with me and made the comment about their fondant sheeter. I told him why should I get one....I had him!! LOL

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm
post #17 of 32

My DH is not allowed in the kitchen either unless he is doing dishes! I was baking a cake for someone (not family). I put it in the oven and went to the bedroom to do some stuff. I came back periodically to check the cake. After 30 or 40 minutes I was confused. It looked like the cake had not changed in 15 minutes. It was then that I realized that DH had turned off the oven! He knew I was baking a cake but was on the phone. He tends to fidget and pace the house when he's talking on the phone because he hates it. He'll flip random light switches off even when someone is in the room, turn the volume down on the tv you're watching, and apparently turn off the oven while you're baking a cake! Good grief!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:28pm
post #18 of 32

hubby has been banned from the kitchen for 10yrs now...seriously, he only goes in there to get a bottle of water or make his smoothie in the morning and thats it and he hasnt made a meal or washed a dish since year 2000. dont use my knives, dont touch my bessemer pans and when i die he has to burn me with my tupperware as i wont let his mail order bride use them (i tell him all the time his next wife should be a mail order bride)

on last sunday he decided to come talk to me while i was making a cake and i got the butter bowls mixed up and used the lesser value.. which meant in the bin it all went and i wasnt happy - i told him hes now banned from talking to me when im in the kitchen as well!

@ confectionsofahousewife.. my hubby is a pacer while on the phone too... whats up with that?

ShanB Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #19 of 32

rotf.. I have a recipe for home made peppermint patties that has been a staple in my family for years... they are REALLY hard to knead and mix though, DH is always good for that icon_smile.gif

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:48pm
post #20 of 32

I left my DH and 6 yrs old DS home alone for a week once. When I got home everything they had used in the kitchen was left right where they had used it. Can you imagine cleaning dishes that have set for a week. To top everything else of my son proudly told me, he and good old dad had made a cake while I was gone. This didn't come as much of a surprise since there was cake batter on the curtains, walls, cupboards you name it even dried batter on a plant. Apparently they didn't know you have to turn off the mixer before taking the beaters out of the bowl. icon_rolleyes.gif Apparently they didn't know how to clean up afterwards either. The good news they do now. thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:02pm
post #21 of 32

Ahhhhh, good thing I don't have one....a DH
The one I had came with a broken part (the brain!!) and it was beyond repair so, it was returned to the mother...he was the worst cook anyway! thumbsdown.gif

chaisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaisme Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #22 of 32

My DH is wonderful, and does the dishe. Which is wonderful, except when he puts the tools I'm using(spatula, mixing tools)into the dishwasher and turns it on! I'm looking around trying to find my stuff going crazy, and he's like "What?" Ugg, gotta love him.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:28am
post #23 of 32

My husband won't cook. He used to when we first met, but when I stopped working to stay home with the kids he quit setting foot in the kitchen any further than the fridge.

On the one hand it's nice because I don't have to explain which cookie sheets he's allowed to use (one) and which he's not (the other ten) or which tools go in the dishwasher (none). On the other hand, the only time he's made dinner in the last five years is once when I had a broken leg. The next day he bought me a wheelchair so that I could cook with a broken leg (he said our littlest daughter was scared of seeing him in the kitchen).

He is good for random cake help though...his hands are much cooler than mine and he likes my rolling pin so sometimes he will roll fondant for me. He also doesn't insist on tasting the cake batter like the kids do.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #24 of 32

My DH hardly ever cooked until he became my full time carer 3 years ago, now he can put up a meal as good as mine. He always states that he had a good teacher in me, ahh bless him. He's one in a million.....

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #25 of 32

Well my husband knows I guess not to bother me when Im baking, but one thing that I love is that he is in the construction field and well.... when it comes to icing my cakes he is awsome, he can work that dam pallet and make em nice n smooth I LOOOOOOVE IT when he ices my cakes icon_lol.gif thats something till this day I can't get quite right.

(sorry wanted to try new color font)

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:56am
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

@ confectionsofahousewife.. my hubby is a pacer while on the phone too... whats up with that?

Mine doesn't come into the kitchen to help just to bug me and I have a small kitchen. I had to TEACH him how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Geesh, he was a Mama's boy who did everything for him so he is stunted in that way. The good/bad part is he likes to go out and eat and could care less if I cook or not!! Yipppeeee

Mrs A there MUST be something up with these men because mine paces TERRIBLY when he is on the phone. Back and forth, back and forth. I've told him to stay seated but he just can't so sometimes he takes his pacing outside. Weird.

BrandeR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandeR Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:00am
post #27 of 32

I was out of town and got a call from my DH. Him: How do you turn on the new oven? Me: What are you cooking? You never cook. Him: I just need to know how to turn on the oven. Me: For what? Him: I need to bake the paint on some car parts. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandeR

I was out of town and got a call from my DH. Him: How do you turn on the new oven? Me: What are you cooking? You never cook. Him: I just need to know how to turn on the oven. Me: For what? Him: I need to bake the paint on some car parts. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Bet that was yummy!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:10am
post #29 of 32
Quote:

when we first married i tupper-ized the pantry so i was at work and he phones me

him: where is my protien powder
me: in the big tupperware container
him: they all look the same - which one (they dont look the same btw)
me: the biggest one there, its square, on the 3rd shelf on the far left
him: (while hes talking to me on the phone btw, he points to it) this one??
me: what one
him: the one im pointing to
me: ((silence))... yeah.. that one
him: oh good, gotta go

and he hangs up

i had to then buy a labelling machine and label ever single piece of tupperware

he also didnt know for 8 months i had a "snacks" tupperware container... until one day i updated the lables and he goes "hhmmm, what does snacks mean".. and ate the entire lot in a day!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:25am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

Quote:

when we first married i tupper-ized the pantry so i was at work and he phones me

him: where is my protien powder
me: in the big tupperware container
him: they all look the same - which one (they dont look the same btw)
me: the biggest one there, its square, on the 3rd shelf on the far left
him: (while hes talking to me on the phone btw, he points to it) this one??
me: what one
him: the one im pointing to
me: ((silence))... yeah.. that one
him: oh good, gotta go

and he hangs up

i had to then buy a labelling machine and label ever single piece of tupperware

he also didnt know for 8 months i had a "snacks" tupperware container... until one day i updated the lables and he goes "hhmmm, what does snacks mean".. and ate the entire lot in a day!

lol !!!! thats funny. My husband does that all the time. Im like how am I suppose to know what you are looking at . DORK !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%