Do I Have To Add Gum Tex To Mmf?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm by 2SchnauzerLady

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be making a cake for a 21st birthday and I was wondering if I need to add gum tex to the mmf. I was going to cut out daisies today to put on the cake tomorrow, and I want some of them to keep shape if I put them on formers. I don't have any gum tex or anything like that and nowhere to get it in time. Is there anything I could add to it that I might have on hand? or will they dry ok?

3 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 4

I have heard that some people add polydent powder to dry fondant faster.
You can also place the flowers in front of a cool fan to help them dry faster.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 4

Don't add polydent if anyone's going to eat them. I tried that before I found a place to buy tylose locally and it has a really minty scent when you're working with it.

If you cut the MMF shapes and put them on the formers today, by tomorrow they should be hard enough to hold their shape (unless you live in a swamp icon_biggrin.gif). Dust the formers with cornstarch first so you'll be able to get them out tomorrow.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 4

Another way to speed drying is to put them in the oven with the oven light on. The light provides just enough warmth to speed drying. Just make sure you put a sign over the oven controls for others not to turn the oven on!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%