Converting Recipes

Baking By Sweet_Guys Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 5:04am by denetteb

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

Of course, for the life of me, I cannot find remember the title of a cake book I saw in the bookstore a while ago but...

The author had created a basic recipe for cakes which filled a 9" cake pan. Then she went on to give recipes for other sized pans and eventually it was something along the lines of 2 8" recipes made a 12" and 2 9" recipes made a 14"...or something along that line.

Does anyone know how to convert a favorite recipe up or down the pan spectrum so that we can calculate how much is needed of various pan sizes?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

4 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:38am
post #2 of 5

It might be Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Dede Wilson.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 5

That's it...Anyone have an easy way to figure it out from your own recipe?

Paul

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 5

I would think you would basically have to measure water into each of your pans to see how many cups they hold, and then figure out the number of cups the recipe makes.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:04am
post #5 of 5

You can use the Wilton chart to see how much batter you need for each size pan. Next time you make your batter, make a mental note or somehow mark how high the batter goes up in your mixing bowl. After you empty the bowl add water, measuring as you go till the water gets to your mark. Then you know how much batter your recipe makes. Write it on your recipe for future reference. Then you can compare how much your recipe makes to what the pan needs and see what conversion will work best. Round it up so you have enough for the pan and any extra just make a few cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%