Need Shiny Chocolate Icing Recipie

Baking By nesweetcake Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 5:58pm by nesweetcake

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 4

I need a Shiny Chocolate Icing recipe for a cake that needs to have a chocolate river running through it. I remember my mom making one (she doesn't remember the recipe....oh drat!) that was a couple squares of unsweetened chocolate, powered sugar and who knows what else, but was so shiny when cooled on the top of a cake. I need tomorrow....so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 4

just a simple chocolate glaze which is basically powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk...sometimes there is butter in it. It's what you get on top of a boston cream doughnut or bavarian cream donut.

here is an Alton Brown recipe;

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
* 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions

Combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until melted. Turn off heat, add the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Place the mixture over a bowl of warm water and dip the doughnuts immediately. Allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving.

here is another random recipe

* 1 tb Vanilla
* 2 oz Semi-sweet chocolate
* 2 c Confectioners sugar
* 2 tb Butter
* 1/4 c Boiling water

Preparation

Melt chocolate and butter. Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth. Drizzle overdonuts.

I have literally taken some powdered sugar and cocoa powder without measuring and just added milk until the consistency I wanted (added the cocoa until it was the color I wanted) and it was awesome as a glaze on some homemade donuts I made!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:30am
post #3 of 4

Chocolate ganache with some corn syrup stirred in will dry shiny too.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%