Which Is Better For Making Crate??

Decorating By Jessy54 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 2:26am by dpryce1855

Jessy54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessy54 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:58am
post #1 of 9

I'm not really sure how to word this...so bear with me! haha. I'm trying to figure out which is sturdier for my particular project. I am trying to make a wine bottle crate, and am not sure which would be the best to use to make the crate part...fondant, gum paste, or pastillage. It would be made to lay along side a sheet cake, but has to be sturdy enough to not fall/sag when placed on. If anyone has any input on this, that would be great!!! I appreciate everyone's feedback!

8 replies
LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:09am
post #2 of 9

I would go with pastillage, personally, but you could go with fondant or pastillage and be fine. icon_biggrin.gif

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 9

You could go w/ a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of fondant and gumpaste. Roll it and cut it out, let it dry completly and it should be rigid.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:22am
post #4 of 9

I would use pastillage or straight gumpaste. Fondant will not dry hard enough. Pastillage would be my first choice since it gets nice and hard.

PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 9

Pastillage, definitely!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

Gumpaste, while technically edible, doesn't taste good and fondant won't dry hard enough. So unless you want to remove all the crate then go with pastillage tho' I have no idea how that tastes either.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 9

Gumpaste doesn't taste bad (to me anyway)... it's just an odd texture. Sort of slimy from the gums in it, but it's just sweet. I make my own though so that might help. Pastillage dries hard as a rock so you would also have to remove it before serving. icon_smile.gif

Fondant, gumpaste, pastillage... they are all similar in flavor since they are compromised of pretty much the same things... just slight differences from recipe to recipe.

Jessy54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessy54 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #8 of 9

thanks, everyone, for the help!!! all great suggestions!

dpryce1855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpryce1855 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #9 of 9

I would go with gumpaste. I make gumpaste from whatever fondant I use, so it taste as good as the fondant. Just use 1 tsp of tylose to 1 pound of fondant and knead for 5 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%