Fondant/refrigerators???

Business By pennywells Updated 9 May 2016 , 10:12am by 810whitechoc

pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 14

O.K. ran into a problem.

We just opened our store and bought a comericial grade refrigerator (one you would find in a resteraunt). I decorated two cakes this past weekend with fondant accents. On both the fondant got really really soft almost melted. I also had a gumpaste mardi gras mask on the one and it got soft also. The mask was rock hard before I stuck it in the fridge.

Never had this happen in my home fridge. Do the commericial grade ones have moisture in them and if so what kind of fridge do I buy to put my decorated cakes in.

I saw on one episode of Cakeboss that he had his decorated cakes in a two door beverage cooler. Is that what I need?????

Please advise

Thanks

Penny

13 replies
jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 14

Not sure why the fondant would melt...you may try putting the cake in a cardboard box and sealing it w/ tape or saran...that could keep some of the extra moisture out.

As for the gumpaste, you don't need to refrigerate that. Keep it in a cool dark place, preferably in some sort of container or box to keep it safer from breakage.

If the box thing works, I wouldn't go out and get a new refrigerator. Also, see if you have a humidity control inside the fridge...perhaps commercial grades let you change that.

Good Luck!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 14

sorry, no answer to your question, but wanted to see if anyone else might have suggestions....I've had this problem too !

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #4 of 14

I'm interested in this too. Penny do you have the stainless double door commercial refrigerator...True is the brand? I'm looking at purchasing that but not if it's too humid since all of my cakes are fondant.

The walk in frig. at the shared commerical kitchen is too humid and my fondant flowers and decorations wilt.

tracienvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracienvegas Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 14

I have a commercial 2 door (sliding) refrigerator. I've never had a problem like that. I would check the temperature of the fridge. Maybe parts are colder than others and causing the issue. Try different areas, maybe it's like an oven that doesn't heat evenly.

HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 14

Always put cakes with any kind of fondant decorations inside a sealed box inside the refrigerator. I have a really big commercial walk in which is set up for storing things without drawing moisture from your products and without a blower.
I am still paranoid and put any fondant cakes inside a box when I put it inside the fridge. I even store fondant wedding cakes, fully decorated inside big moving boxes, inside the fridge.
I have tried it without and it is just not worth having to do a cake for the 2nd time if the fondant gets "wet". I live in SC, on the coast, so it is always humid here. HTH

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 14

I have a special 'dry' refrigerator for fondant stuff (actually, all my cakes go in here). I'm purchasing another in May.

ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 14

What brand/model number is your dry refrigerator? Thanks everyone for the box tip...that seems to be the trick!

TheCakeMamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeMamas Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 14

I would like to know what the best brands are for storing fondant covered cakes. A Bev Air salesman told me that Bev Air is horrible for fondant, regardless of whether it's covered in a box or not. There are certain brands of DRY fridges out there, but I'm not sure what brands they are. Can someone please help? I need to buy one immediately for my bakery.
Thanks!

ladyonzlake Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:04am
post #10 of 14

Well, I did buy the True single door refrigerator and it was a mistake. Even my buttercream cakes wheep in it so I don't recommend that brand. So far my non commercial frig. works the best.

Kcserf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kcserf Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 2:04am
post #11 of 14

DO NOT BUY A TRUE!! I also found out the hard way that they melt the fondant and have high humidity....I battled with the company to get a replacement or get fixed and they had the most horrible customer service and said it was something we were doing wrong with our cakes! Now I can only store ingredients and non colored buttercream cakes!

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 12:25pm
post #12 of 14

I also have a True, I have had fondant ruffles melt off a wedding cake.  I finally figured out that if I put a big sheet pan on the top shelf and the cake on the 2nd shelf, it helps.  As far as any sort of a flower or big decoration, I wait until right before delivery.

jeffdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffdavis Posted 9 May 2016 , 6:12am
post #13 of 14

Hello Pennywells,

Possibility is that your commercial fridge is having some issue, better you call a HVAC service New Jersey technician and inspect your refrigerator.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 9 May 2016 , 10:12am
post #14 of 14

Seriously dude, as this thread is six years old, nice try advertising your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%