I Know Im Gonna Get Blasted For This But..pricing

Decorating By LEHLA Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 1:57am by LEHLA

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 18

I know u guys are gonna love me for this one Im SORRY But I think I just need to prove a point to some non cake ppl. I made this cake for a friendas a gift but would love to know what it would cost someone to buy?

the base is a 12"x 18"x2" scratch chocolate cake with homemade buttercream Icing covered in crushed nilla waffers and graham crackers.

Her dress is a 10", 8" and a 6" x3" scratch vanilla cake covered in buttercream Icing all the flowers are made of fondant which took me a few days to make. I live in new Jersey at the shore so ingredients are easy to get!
LL

17 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 18

Beautiful cake, I wouldn't take less than 90.00 bucksicon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 18

I live in NJ also and I would price it for about $200 with half the flowers on it. With all those flowers the cake should be more but I doubt I would get it. Nice job though and welcome to CC. (i guess you must have been lurking for awhile to know that people don't like pricing questions but feel free to ask, if they don't like the question, they don't have to answer)

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 18

Yeah.....i gave up on pricing questions a long time ago after getting slammed on this site. I truly believe pricing has to be based on where you live. That being said, I live in northern ny, about 15 miles from canada....I would have charged about $150.

Let the slamming begin............

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #5 of 18

I got a headache trying to figure out how many servings the doll will yield icon_biggrin.gif

I know the 12 x 18 x 2 will yield 54, but how many did you figure the doll will serve?

For all BC I'd be $3.50 per serving and extra for the flowers depending on how long they took me to make.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #6 of 18

I personally like the pricing questions. I like to see what others are getting for their cakes in different areas. I would have charged 200.00 plus extra for the flowers.

Eatsleepbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eatsleepbake Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

I got a headache trying to figure out how many servings the doll will yield icon_biggrin.gif

I know the 12 x 18 x 2 will yield 54, but how many did you figure the doll will serve?

For all BC I'd be $3.50 per serving and extra for the flowers depending on how long they took me to make.

I agree w/Deb. No less than 3.50 plus cost of flowers.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 18

I love your cake, great job, it depends on who it was for, your expense and how much you want to make, and how bad you want to make it.... ... don't laugh but for a dear neighbor who has her hands full with kids , I made the mermaid cake on top of sheet cake ....for the very low price discount at $20.00 ( covered supplies and that was all) see my photo of the mermaid cake in photos .
After you do too many discounted cakes, your prices seem to go up, or you do less discounted cakes ...

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:13am
post #9 of 18

I would charge around $125 here. I am in NC though in a more rural area.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:

Wouldn't this fit under the carved cake category, then? I've read elsewhere that you should charge for all the cake you have to bake in order to make it (after all, you still have to pay for those ingredients/expenses and can't usually just sell the leftovers to someone else), not just the amount of cake they end up with. That's before you account for the extra time that carving and decorating a carved cake costs.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

Quote:

Wouldn't this fit under the carved cake category, then? I've read elsewhere that you should charge for all the cake you have to bake in order to make it (after all, you still have to pay for those ingredients/expenses and can't usually just sell the leftovers to someone else), not just the amount of cake they end up with. That's before you account for the extra time that carving and decorating a carved cake costs.

The doll is plastic

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

The doll is plastic

LOL... yes, I know... but the skirt is cake, and I figured that was carved.

I've been thinking, though, and if it was just cooked in a shaped pan, then I would use the amount of batter required and compare that to the Wilton chart to figure out the servings yield.

LEHLA Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 18

Yes the doll is plastic!!! LOL and the skirt is cake, I didnt use the shaped pan< I didnt like it and it was small so I used a 10", 8", AND a 6"x3" pans and carved them into a skirt!! The plastic doll was a full size doll not a pick ( didnt like them either CHEESY LOL)

deb_ - I was estimating around 80 (party servings, the 12x 18 was only one layer)

Thanks eveyone for your help and comments< i know this is a touchy subject!!

LEHLA Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deb_ wrote:
I got a headache trying to figure out how many servings the doll will yield

Sorry Deb_ , i didnt mean to give u a headache , but this whole cake gave me a headache i was so nervous this is only the second cake Ive done with flowers that I made and I get so stressed when im putting them all together . But i must say the look on Tessa"s little face was worth it all and the BIG HUG AND KISS!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

Quote:

Oh definitely charge for the cake you make before the carve.

I was just trying to figure out the servings for the single 10", single 8" etc and I was losing track. lol

It didn't help that I was on my second glass of Cabernet last night when I was trying to add it all up. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHLA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deb_ wrote:
I got a headache trying to figure out how many servings the doll will yield

Sorry Deb_ , i didnt mean to give u a headache , but this whole cake gave me a headache i was so nervous this is only the second cake Ive done with flowers that I made and I get so stressed when im putting them all together . But i must say the look on Tessa"s little face was worth it all and the BIG HUG AND KISS!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

lol I was just teasing ya! I'm sure it was the wine that gave me the headache! icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #17 of 18

Lehla, I take your question as you have people who can't BELIEVE what a cake like that will cost, so you're looking for 'estimates' from other cake bakers to see what the median or avg price would be from others ..... do I have that right? I dont' read this as the controversial question of "I made this cake ... she's on her way over ... how much should I charge?" thing. thumbs_up.gif

In round numbers .... 50 servings for the sheet, plus the about 20-30 for the doll, so about $225-$250 just for the cake. For those flowers, which is MUCH more labor than just the ingredients.... I'd add another $50-$75 MINIMUM. If you put this in the carved category, add an ADDITIONAL $50-$75 for carving fee. (and yeah, as suggestd above, the wonder mold pan will save you the extra cakes needed to bake and the carving time).

Is that what you're looking for?

LEHLA Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #18 of 18

WOW indydebi Thank you Thank you so much< you read me right. thumbs_up.gif I was worried about posting but I needed to prove a point to some ppl I know that cant "BELIEVE " A CAKE COULD COST THAT MUCH!! This was a gift to friends lil girl and after being glued to my pc on cc since I joined in Jan (and I do mean glued Im hooked and cant seem to get enough I love to learn new things) I have seen so many post on pricing and different sites since i made my first wedding cake 2 yrs ago for my son and I see what can be charged and ppl around here just dont get it!!! Again thank u so much for your reply it means alot to me to hear from YOU!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%