Baking On A Budget

Decorating By allkidzmom1 Updated 13 Feb 2010 , 5:39pm by allkidzmom1

allkidzmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allkidzmom1 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 14

I am new to Cake Decorating and have taken my 1st class of Class 1. I am enjoying what I have learned so far and have gotten alot of ideas from this forum.

I went grocery shopping today to get a couple of things to practice decorating this weekend. Publix had their Betty Crocker cake mixes buy one get one free so I stocked up with 8. Just wanted to pass this along to those who use box mixes to bake with.

I look forward to getting to know you and enjoy looking at the cakes you have decorated and hope one day to be as good as you. icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 14

Hi. Welcome. This place is the bomb. I have never met such talented, wonderful people in any forum before. Everyone here is so helpful and supportive. you will love it.

welcome to the world of cake making and the total fear of dropping a cake. (okay that could just be me) icon_lol.gif

allkidzmom1 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you for the warm welcome!!

I have loved this site so far (1 week) and I guess I can tell you this since you will understand, this forum is addictive!! I agree, everyone is so talented, I am amazed at the work that I see. I belong to several message boards and reading this one (daily) has by far the nicest people. I am very excited to be a part of this.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 14

betty crocker is on sale this week for .69cents at Safeway - my area anyway in Amador / San Joquin counties

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #5 of 14

Welcome allkidzmom1. I have been here for a few years now and it is still as addictive as the first day...so watch out. But I have to tell you I am a self taught cake artist/baker and everything I learned about the artsy side was from here (not to mention so many great recipes to work with). There is a lot of great people here the support is just wonderful. You'll love it here.

allkidzmom1 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:20am
post #6 of 14

We do not have Safeway, but I sure wish we did!!

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #7 of 14

Safeway is also Genuardi's if you are in the Northeast, and the mixes are .69 here too.

Although I use Duncan Hines and/or scratch.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 14

welcome allkidzmom1, you already know how great CC is and that is how I feel also. happy baking and thanks for the heads up on the cake mix.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #9 of 14

I just want to say welcome to cc.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #10 of 14

Welcome...

It IS very addicting...and it happens fast!! The first couple visits and BOOM you're done, icon_lol.gif !

(There are also alot of wonderful cake/cupcake/cookie blogs that you might be interested in, some from fellow CC members).

allkidzmom1 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #11 of 14

I am in Georgia and just beginning my cake decorating journey. I baked a cake tonight to decorate tomorrow for my wonderful husband for Valentines Day.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!!

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #12 of 14

Welcome to CC ....

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #13 of 14

Welcome! You will LOVE this site! Everyone is so great and helpful - all this expertise at your fingertips. I cannot tell you how many 11th hour bail-outs fellow CC'ers have extended me (e.g. gutted tank at 9:00 pm due the next day- couldn't get canon to stay in - SAVED! deflated volleyball - SAVED!- all thanks to CC'ers!) Addictive is an understatement! !

If you like using box mixes, as I do, you will LOVE the original WASC cake and the Amazing chocolate WASC - both in recipes. Also, use Marshmallow fondant (MMF) -lots of recipes here too. It tastes better than bought and will save you a ton of money. Go to Michael's Arts and Crafts in your area if you have one. They have 40% off coupons weekly (on line now - they can email you too). Buying new gadgets is very tempting, so you have to pace yourself. Often, buying on-line is much cheaper than some hobby stores. Also, many household items can be used in place of expensive gadgets- there was a really good thread on here for that a while back (e.g. used pastry cutter to get ridges in my potatoe chips). I use a lot of cookie cutters too. But whenever I am asked what I would like for a gift, I say cake decorating stuff. I certainly buy more of it now and less clothes than I used to...But I make cakes for co-workers and charge (a donation) for ingredients and supplies - that helps to support my hobby.

Have fun! icon_smile.gif

allkidzmom1 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 5:39pm
post #14 of 14

Well, I have not paced myself on buying supplies at all!! Made a trip yesterday and got 2 cake pans, bake even strips, cake boards, paper to cover cake boards, more cuplings, a cake leveler, and a cake caddy that I used the 40% off coupon at Michaels and saved $6.00 off the $14.99 price!!

I found the 28 piece tip set with the container on Ebay for $18.00, just waiting on that to arrive in the mail.

This is going to be a fun hobby for sure. I like instant gratification, so this is it!!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, I do appreciate it.

Now off to look at images so I can get an idea of how I want to decorate the cake I made last night for my husband for Valentines Day!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%