Wedding Questions

Decorating By mommybaker602 Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 7:33am by mireillea

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 16

I've booked my first wedding cake for August. It's inside, so it shouldn't be bad. A few questions:

1. Do you decorate the cake table, or does the bride? I think for my own wedding, we had everything all set up...she just delivered the cake. Lots of pictures I've seen on here, though, look like the baker decorated it.

2. Where has everyone gotten the big silver cake stand? I LOVE that one! I've seen it in a bunch of photos.

3. How do you get your cake stand back...deposit and make them return it?

Thanks!

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 16

IF the bride drops off the flutes, petals, table deco etc at the venue, I'll put them on the table. The caterer or the venue puts the linen on.

You can buy cake plateaus online (google), but I tell my brides to rent them from a rental cmpany or their florist. I am not in the rental biz.

mommybaker602 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

IF the bride drops off the flutes, petals, table deco etc at the venue, I'll put them on the table. The caterer or the venue puts the linen on.

You can buy cake plateaus online (google), but I tell my brides to rent them from a rental cmpany or their florist. I am not in the rental biz.

So all of the pics here are probably taken once set up at the wedding, and the bride already has that stuff? I'm sure that makes my job a lot easier!

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 16

I make an agreement about that during the consultation. I always require a table big enough and stable enough for the wedding cake, that is ready and set up AT THE TIME the cake is delivered. And although I put this in writing, it still happens that I arrive with the cake, at the said time, ask for the table where the cake is supposed to be placed and then get this silly, stupid surprised look from one of the waiters, the manager, or whoever runs the show: "Oh, a table, should there be a table???" icon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 16

The table is usually decorated before I arrive with the cake. I have different cake stands available for rent. The bride gives me a deposit equal to the replacement cost of the stand. When it is returned she gets the deposit back.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mireillea

I make an agreement about that during the consultation. I always require a table big enough and stable enough for the wedding cake, that is ready and set up AT THE TIME the cake is delivered. And although I put this in writing, it still happens that I arrive with the cake, at the said time, ask for the table where the cake is supposed to be placed and then get this silly, stupid surprised look from one of the waiters, the manager, or whoever runs the show: "Oh, a table, should there be a table???" icon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gif

This is why you should be sure to contact the venue about a week or two before the wedding, just to make sure you are on the same page as them. They could be under the impression that you deal with EVERYTHING related to the cake, while you could be thinking that you just have to go and set the cake on the table and you're done. You can never communicate too much when it comes to this.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 16

I always get the contact info for the bride's venue and I give them a call a couple of weeks before the reception date; just to be sure they will have the proper table set up with a cloth, etc. I also make sure it will be in a location that is cool enough and not in direct sunlight if it'll be hot weather. Even though the bride should be telling them this I don't want any surprises when I show up with cake in hand.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 16

Right, never assume someone else has taken care of something. It never hurts to ask and confirm certain arrangements.

Because you know what they say about assuming.

It leads to assumptions. icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybaker602

2. Where has everyone gotten the big silver cake stand? I LOVE that one! I've seen it in a bunch of photos.

Believe it or not, (and if you want to invest) you can buy one in the Wedding Aisle at Hobby Lobby. With a 40% off coupon, it's really reasonable.

mireillea Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 16

That is why I always put it in the contract. Just to make sure that I have things covered. Because calling the venue here, in the Netherlands, is not always appreciated. Most brides and grooms plan the entire wedding themselves, contrary to the US where I believe a wedding planner does those things. Then a Master of Ceremonies (I had to look this word up in the dictionary icon_smile.gif) receives all the information from the wedding couple and t akes it up from there. He/She is supposed to check everything to make sure the wedding runs smoothly. So yes, I do hang on the phone with this person days before the wedding. And they always tell you everything has been taken care off. But in practice that isn't always the case. And I did (or actually my husband) called the venue a few times, but if the Master of Ceremonies hears about that, they often feel that you are doing something behind their back.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:

That is why I always put it in the contract. Just to make sure that I have things covered. Because calling the venue here, in the Netherlands, is not always appreciated. Most brides and grooms plan the entire wedding themselves, contrary to the US where I believe a wedding planner does those things. Then a Master of Ceremonies (I had to look this word up in the dictionary icon_smile.gif) receives all the information from the wedding couple and t akes it up from there. He/She is supposed to check everything to make sure the wedding runs smoothly. So yes, I do hang on the phone with this person days before the wedding. And they always tell you everything has been taken care off. But in practice that isn't always the case. And I did (or actually my husband) called the venue a few times, but if the Master of Ceremonies hears about that, they often feel that you are doing something behind their back.

Maybe it's because I deal with a lot of Expat couples, but not one person has EVER told me who their ceremoniemeester is. I always call the venue. Even then I run into problems more often than not, usually arguing about the fact the cake does NOT need to go into a fridge until serving time. I've lost count on that one icon_rolleyes.gif ! Don't even get me started on the usual attitude I get from Dutch (usually male) venue staff who think they know better than me about MY cakes icon_evil.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

mommybaker602 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:13pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybaker602

Believe it or not, (and if you want to invest) you can buy one in the Wedding Aisle at Hobby Lobby. With a 40% off coupon, it's really reasonable.

Oohhh, I'll definitely be checking this out! I think Michaels and Hobby Lobby usually run a big wedding sale in the spring (for all those summer brides!). Thanks for the tip!

mireillea Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Even then I run into problems more often than not, usually arguing about the fact the cake does NOT need to go into a fridge until serving time. I've lost count on that one icon_rolleyes.gif ! Don't even get me started on the usual attitude I get from Dutch (usually male) venue staff who think they know better than me about MY cakes icon_evil.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

Hahahaha, this is so familiar!!! I know, I too, deal with that EVERY time!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

Even then I run into problems more often than not, usually arguing about the fact the cake does NOT need to go into a fridge until serving time. I've lost count on that one icon_rolleyes.gif ! Don't even get me started on the usual attitude I get from Dutch (usually male) venue staff who think they know better than me about MY cakes icon_evil.gificon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

Hahahaha, this is so familiar!!! I know, I too, deal with that EVERY time!

Oh yes, the usual -

Arrogant Dutch male - "but it's not going to be served until 20:00, it's only 16:00 - that's 4 hours it will be sat in this hot room!"

Me- "Yeeeeeeeeees, where do you think the cake has been for the last couple of days? This cake took me xxxx hours to decorate and I didn't do it in a refrigerated room!"

ADM - " but we are only allowed to display cakes for up to 2 hours before serving them!"

Me - "yes, Dutch style cakes filled/decorated with slagroom and other perishable fillings. This is NOT a Dutch style cake. It is completely room temperature safe for several days."

ADM - "Oh, well I still think it should be put in the fridge. I'm not going to be responsible for anything that happens to it or if people get sick"

Me - "Fine! Nothing's going to happen to it and people are not going to get sick from my cake".

ADM - " Hmmmmphhh", wanders off grumbling under his breath.

Yup - this conversation occurs word for word pretty much every time icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

It's our job to educate these bozos that the Dutch way is NOT the only way thumbs_up.gif (even though it gets tiresome very quickly)!

Jeana77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeana77 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 16

Hobby Lobby has their wedding supplies 50% off this week, for those who are interested in the silver cake stand.

mireillea Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:33am
post #16 of 16
Quote:

It's our job to educate these bozos that the Dutch way is NOT the only way thumbs_up.gif (even though it gets tiresome very quickly)!

I found an easy way to do that: I just tell them it's a cake, not a 'taart'. Hahaha, and you know, then the Dutch are completely fine with it. They are used to leaving their 'cake' on a platter for daaaaays (has to do with the small slices they serve, if you even get some!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%