Payments

Business By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 2:19pm by KHalstead

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 11

I have a pretty big wedding cake coming up, and i personally know the person who is buying the cake. But the $$ is kinda big number, so she will probably pay in payments. My question is, if the cake is $200... what would be a good payment plan to go with. I'm pretty sure I will need atleast $50 of it for all the supplies. Should I go with payments of $50.00, or only two payments of $100. This is my first wedding cake i've been paid for, so i kinda need some experienced cakers out there that can give me some good advice in the money aspect. Thanks!

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 11

I do 25% down, non-refundable for any reason. Remainder due 21 days in advance.

Congratulations on getting your licensing and insurance in place so that you can sell cakes!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 11

Decide on how much your supplies are and require that as the NON refundable deposit. My contract is easy - pay me whatever as long as the balance is paid in full 30 days out from the event. (and I subtract their deposit from the total of course)

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 11

I do a 50% or $300 non-refundable deopsit (which ever is largest) with the balance due depending on how large the amount in either 1 or 2 more payments with the entire balance due at least 14 days prior to the event. If your cake is $399 or less you pay the entire amount at booking. Even if you are a friend or family - ESPECIALLY friends and family...they will take advantage of you way before a stranger will!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 11

Yeah, I would say she can pay you however she is comfortable doing (deposit up front of course) as long as it is in by the final date.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 11

Regarless of the total for the cake, I require 50% non-refundable deposit and the remaining balance due 30 days before the wedding.

If they want to make periodic installments before the 30 days, fine.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Regarless of the total for the cake, I require 50% non-refundable deposit and the remaining balance due 30 days before the wedding.

If they want to make periodic installments before the 30 days, fine.

This is my policy as well.^^^^^^^^^^

OP even though this is for a friend be sure you draw up a contract with all of the details and have all parties initial and sign the important sections i.e. cake details, # of servings, flavors, date, time, venue, price, deposit amount and final due date....to name a few.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 11

I would charge 50%

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 11

I require half up front and the rest to be paid in full 2 weeks prior to delivery.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I do a 50% or $300 non-refundable deopsit (which ever is largest) with the balance due depending on how large the amount in either 1 or 2 more payments with the entire balance due at least 14 days prior to the event. If your cake is $399 or less you pay the entire amount at booking. Even if you are a friend or family - ESPECIALLY friends and family...they will take advantage of you way before a stranger will!

Okay I must remember to spell check before submitting...

deopsit = deposit...LOL!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 11

I require 30% down non-refundable deposit to book the date.......the rest is due 3 weeks before event. they can make daily, weekly, monthly payments however they want or not at all.........just needs to be paid 3 weeks before IN FULL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%