Gp Flowers Making Set...or Cutters?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm by Sagebrush

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 13

I was wondering which way I should go to start learning GP flowers. Is it a good to purchase the Wilton GP flowers making set, or is it better to purchase cutters and learn from tutorials here and there. I noticed that Wilton teaches making flowers different way, as the rose, for me that was a complex, and I am now using the other way with petal cutters, and I think it looks better. Also the Wilton set cutters seams to me a little small. Does anybody use the set? or do you buy a cutters from several sites. Are cutters better than molds? Please help me decide which way is better to go.

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 13

I have the Wilton set but they are pretty small and basic. Mostly I use them for making fondant flowers that will go directly on the cake.

ZlatkaT Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you, Texas_Rose;
I had that feeling too about the Wilton set. So probably buying cutters or molds from other sites is the way to go. And learn from tutorials or here on CC.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 13

I would suggest buying videos and actually watching and then buying the cutters used in the videos. Maybe I'm a visual learner but I found that helpful. Or see of you have a cake decorators club near you. You could get some reasonably priced classes that way.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 13

I am lerning so much here from everyone...

Zlatka try some of the tutorial in youtube look for Edna, there is a sticky about her here, I am actually getting the DVD.

Anna

ZlatkaT Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 13

How do you buy your cutters? Individualy or by set? And if set which would you recomend?

ZlatkaT Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 13

Is there any flower cutter set you would recomend?

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 13

I just looked at cakes and tutorials to find flowers I wanted to be able to replicate, and then found out which cutters I would need specifically for them. Do you have a favorite cake w/ flowers or a favorite flower you most want to be able to do?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 13

I buy cutters individually. I look for detail and accuracy on the final product. Cutters will usually come as a set with all of the cutters you will need to complete a flower. Occasionally you will need a center mold, but you can usually get away with making something yourself. The molds are nice because they are quick and uniform, but you don't *need* them.

I don't care for the 5 petal rose cutters... I like to do it petal by petal. The wilton kit is pretty useless IMHO if you want to make realistic flowers. I like metal cutters over plastic, but some plastic cutters are good. The PME plunger cutters are worth it for the five petal blossoms and ivy. I get cutters as I need them usually. Most cutters will come with some instructions that will get you the general idea of what to do. I buy most of my cutters from Global Sugar Art. Alan has a nice selection and if you order by 3 (I believe) your order ships same day.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 13

To save yourself money on cutters/veiners you may find just sitting around collecting dust (I know from experince) I would pick some flowers you are really interested in learning and get those cutters and/or cutters that can be used for a few things. Sets are nice and sometimes cheaper, but if you aren't going to end up doing half the flowers you could use that money somewhere else.

For beginner flowers, I'd say something like Calla Lillies or daisies.

Roses are always popular and the 5 petal rose cutters are nice. I have either FMM or PME rose cutters in different sizes. I think they are FMM, they are a cream color plastic. Roses are multi stepped though, so they tend to be a little harder to get sometimes.

ZlatkaT Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 13

For leaves, do you use the leaf mold for flowers as general, or does leaf cutter comes with the cutters for certain flower?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 13

There are many different leaf cutters made to go with different flowers. I am a big fan of Nicholas Lodge's DVDs. Each DVD usually covers two (or more) flowers and foliage in great detail and you can get everything you need to make those flowers from his store - right down to the colors and wires and floral tape. I am a visual learner - I need to see it done correctly icon_lol.gif , so a DVD is great investment for me. Good quality cutters do make a difference as does proper technique. So, if you're really interested in learning, give yourself the best advantage you can afford at this time so you won't get discouraged. One or two good flowers and a few leaves with clear instructions for them is better than a big "set" that you can't figure out how to use properly. A class with a terrific artist is even better thumbs_up.gif .

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

One or two good flowers and a few leaves with clear instructions for them is better than a big "set" that you can't figure out how to use properly.

I agree. I bought a cheap knockoff of the Wilton flower set, because one of the cutters in there was the one that Edna uses in her Stargazer DVD, and the individual cutter that was shaped like that that GSA carries was sold out when I wanted to order (oh, and because the knockoff ones were pink instead of green like Wilton's).

That cutter from the set is nice enough, but some of the others have burrs, and like you mentioned, I don't know what to do with at least 1/2 of them, and another 1/4 of them I either had something like already (like the circles) or I ended up buying a better product (like the small blossom cutters).

Does anyone know if there are any resources that show what you do with the rest of them? I don't know if Wilton's set had the instructions for using the other cutters, but the cheap knockoff did not.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%