Need Your Ideas And Opinion Please

Sugar Work By pj22 Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm by pj22

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I am making fish and sea creatures out of candy for my son's aquarium cake and really needed some advice on how to go about it.

I am planning to buy this mold http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=sc1071

The details are all colored so do you think I'll have to paint melted candy, let it dry then pour it?

I wanted to make these in advance so I dont have to rush last minute. Can I store them at room temperature? (I am using wilton candy melts)

TIA!!

3 replies
megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 4

I found this on the Wilton site for you - Hope it helps!

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Painting-Details

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 4

You should do well following the Wilton instructions megmarie posted. A couple of additional tips...

Keep your melted chocolate (on the melting plate or in little dishes or whatever) on a heating pad or in an electric skillet set to Warm. This way they won't harden before you're done using them.

When you place the mold in the frig to let the details set up, only leave it in for one or two minutes. If you leave it in the frig too long, the set up chocolate details will pop out very easily.

As you fill in the details, turn your mold over periodically to check your progress from the front. If you accidentally go outside an area, just scrape the excess off with a toothpick and brush it away with a clean brush.

I would advise against trying to paint the details on afterward with melted chocolate. It will not go on smoothly. The best way to add details after is to paint on a mixture of cocoa butter and powdered color. I'm guessing you don't have these items available to you at the moment. icon_smile.gif

You can absolutely store them at room temperature, just as you would store your candy melts. Be sure to save your extra melted candy, too. I usually pour my extra into little blobs (about the size of candy melts!) onto a pan lined with wax paper. Refrigerate, then store with the rest of the candy.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 4

oh wow! Thanks so much both of you for the help!!

I really appreciate it!! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%